Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First pool owner with chlorine question

1. Back To Top    #1

First pool owner with chlorine question

I inherited a 20 kilo (44 pound) industrial chlorine powder container brand new that came from previous owners professional pool service company. Is it safe to assume its cal-hypo? Its extremely strong and powerful (fumes etc). Is it also safe to assume it is probably in the 65% range when doing my chemical math when adding it to the pool?
    They also left behind a container of pool acidet (I assume for lowering Ph) and also a large jug of what I assume to be clarifer.
    Thanks all!
    (Tf100 kit on way in 2 months)
    Pool 3800 gaĺlon glass tiled concrete approximately 10 years old/ Puerto Vallarta
    Hayward sand filter S166t.
    Pool Pump Silver10/1115 1hp
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp
    Hard Municipal Water tf-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: First pool owner with chlorine question

Not sure I would assume anything about what you inherited someone may have a better idea but if you want to be able to use them with confidence how about getting a couple of gallons of distilled water and add a small amount of each mystery power to each gallon and run some tests on it with the Tf100 when you get it.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

The powder could also be dichlor or less likely, trichlor. Cal-hypo is not a good choice for you if you have hard water, but Dichlor and trichlor are probably worse.

Are there any hazmat stickers or chemical names anywhere on the container?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not back at house till July. My friend is managing and testing with a basic 2 part (Ph /chlorine) kit till I get there. I don't recall any labels on it but will take a better look when I get back there. Whatever type of chlorine it is I imagine its very common in that area as its a relatively small pool town. This is what most if not all pro pool service companies use there.
    So far Ph and chlorine is doing well with filter running for 2 hours a day. I did math on pool and pump size and I should be recycling the entire pool water approximately every hour.
    Pool 3800 gaĺlon glass tiled concrete approximately 10 years old/ Puerto Vallarta
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp

5. Back To Top    #5

How specifically should I run the tests on it in your opinion?
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I was originally thinking something similar to what is described in this post you will have to figure out the dilution method to convert weight to volume. The most important determination is what is in that stuff once you know what is in it you can use your pool to help you determine how strong it is. It will be much easier to determine strength with the large volume of the pool testing before and after to get a ballpark % FC rise, pH drop, CH rise, CYA rise depending on what you find is in it.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmm OK thanks though not sure how i could apply that technique in that post to powder though?
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp