Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

  1. Back To Top    #1
    james63038's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    35

    Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

    This is the 2nd year and first time pulling the cover off of our pool since it was completed last April.
    We pulled it off this weekend because all the kids were away with family. The water was clearer than I had thought, however, pool company doesn't come to open for another week and a half.
    Should I just be pouring bleach in until they come?


    My Build 20x40 Freeform Shotcrete (33k gal) pool. 3.6-8.6, Blue Granite Pebble Sheen, Tennessee Flagstone Coping, Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo 4x160 x SVRS, Rainbow Automatic Chlorinator, 1 LED light, Tanning Shelf, 15.6 Slide with 3 different height jumping rocks, Sta-Rite 333k btu propane heater, kool deck, TF100, Dolphin Oasis Z5

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Scout101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    North Kingstown, RI
    Posts
    161

    Re: Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

    I'm a newbie myself, so can't offer much help, but just wanted to say that's a beautiful pool!

    Not sure if it's worth dumping chemicals in if it's not going to circulate, will let the experts speak to that. You already look to be light-years ahead of where I'm at, I'd personally just scoop/brush at this point, maybe let the robot wander if you have one, that way you're as clean as you can be when the water starts moving and you toss in the bleach. But like I said, my two cents are probably worth less than 1 cent right now
    IG Vinyl, free-form 25' x 40', 25,000 gal., Hayward 1-1/2 hp Superpump, Hayward S310T 500lb. Sand filter, AquaLogic T-Cell 15 SWG and Automation, Hayward H300 Milivolt 300k btu NG heater, TF-100 Test Kit w/spinner

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

    I would. And then brush to mix it up well. especially at the waterline. The water will be warmer at the surface so that's where I'd expect algae to start. Maybe 2 ppm per day. How much that is volume-wise depends on the strength of the bleach. It looks like Walmart's got some deal on 10% in the pool section, and Menards (If you have them) has an even better sale going on 12.5%. Otherwise, standard 8.25% laundry bleach will work.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    DaninFLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

    great pool! i see you have a TF100 test kit already. Are the pumps not running yet then since it hasnt been opened?

    i would get some bleach/chlorine and keep your FC around 3-5ppm for now until you get everythign running, with cooler water you may only need to add 2ppm worth each day maybe. you can brush the pool each day to circulate the chlorine. once the pumps get running you will need to run a full set of tests with your TF100 and make changes from there. i would NOT let the pool company add ANY chemicals to the pool when they come out.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

  5. Back To Top    #5
    james63038's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    35

    Re: Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I would. And then brush to mix it up well. especially at the waterline. The water will be warmer at the surface so that's where I'd expect algae to start. Maybe 2 ppm per day. How much that is volume-wise depends on the strength of the bleach. It looks like Walmart's got some deal on 10% in the pool section, and Menards (If you have them) has an even better sale going on 12.5%. Otherwise, standard 8.25% laundry bleach will work.
    Thanks for the reply. I've stocked up on Wal-Mart brand (8.25) and some from Sam's, in preparation for the big SLAM. I'll have to figure out how much 2ppm will be.
    My Build 20x40 Freeform Shotcrete (33k gal) pool. 3.6-8.6, Blue Granite Pebble Sheen, Tennessee Flagstone Coping, Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo 4x160 x SVRS, Rainbow Automatic Chlorinator, 1 LED light, Tanning Shelf, 15.6 Slide with 3 different height jumping rocks, Sta-Rite 333k btu propane heater, kool deck, TF100, Dolphin Oasis Z5

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

    Quote Originally Posted by james63038 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I've stocked up on Wal-Mart brand (8.25) and some from Sam's, in preparation for the big SLAM. I'll have to figure out how much 2ppm will be.
    3 quarts, roughly. Just plug in your 33000 gallon pool volume in poolmath and see what it says to get from 0 to 2 on chlorine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  7. Back To Top    #7
    james63038's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    35

    Re: Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    great pool! i see you have a TF100 test kit already. Are the pumps not running yet then since it hasnt been opened?

    i would get some bleach/chlorine and keep your FC around 3-5ppm for now until you get everythign running, with cooler water you may only need to add 2ppm worth each day maybe. you can brush the pool each day to circulate the chlorine. once the pumps get running you will need to run a full set of tests with your TF100 and make changes from there. i would NOT let the pool company add ANY chemicals to the pool when they come out.
    Thank you! No, the pumps are not on. I have no idea how to start it up, however, when they come, I'll be taking notes so I can do it myself next year.
    Funny, I told them I just needed help starting up the system and did not want any chemicals. They didn't seem to quite compute that. I'll have to reconfirm when they're here.

    I'll go ahead and test for FC after a few jugs and brushing.
    My Build 20x40 Freeform Shotcrete (33k gal) pool. 3.6-8.6, Blue Granite Pebble Sheen, Tennessee Flagstone Coping, Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo 4x160 x SVRS, Rainbow Automatic Chlorinator, 1 LED light, Tanning Shelf, 15.6 Slide with 3 different height jumping rocks, Sta-Rite 333k btu propane heater, kool deck, TF100, Dolphin Oasis Z5

  8. Back To Top    #8


    TFP Guide

    bmoreswim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Central MD
    Posts
    3,291

    Re: Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

    Opening up a pool is a breeze assuming they aren't removing pumps in the fall. Ask plenty of questions and maybe grab some videos.

    Good guidance above. In a more normal, warmer year you may have had a green pool by now. Last year our water was 75 two days from now with no auxiliary heating.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

  9. Back To Top    #9
    DaninFLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

    Quote Originally Posted by james63038 View Post
    Thank you! No, the pumps are not on. I have no idea how to start it up, however, when they come, I'll be taking notes so I can do it myself next year.
    Funny, I told them I just needed help starting up the system and did not want any chemicals. They didn't seem to quite compute that. I'll have to reconfirm when they're here.

    I'll go ahead and test for FC after a few jugs and brushing.
    next year you can close yourself, its not too complicated and there is a very detailed instruction/photos on here to help
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

  10. Back To Top    #10
    james63038's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    35

    Re: Pool cover off but not opening for 1.5 Wks.

    Thanks for the help everyone. Pool isn't as clear but it's not green yet. I talked the pool company into coming tomorrow
    Yes, I am looking forward to taking full control over my pool and not have to rely on anyone.
    I'll be watching, writing and taking video tomorrow for sure. Come fall when it's time to close, I don't know how confident I'll be but I'll sure I can figure it out.


    My Build 20x40 Freeform Shotcrete (33k gal) pool. 3.6-8.6, Blue Granite Pebble Sheen, Tennessee Flagstone Coping, Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo 4x160 x SVRS, Rainbow Automatic Chlorinator, 1 LED light, Tanning Shelf, 15.6 Slide with 3 different height jumping rocks, Sta-Rite 333k btu propane heater, kool deck, TF100, Dolphin Oasis Z5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •