New to thread and pools!

May 9, 2016
Dallas, PA
Hello all. My name is Bill from Dallas, PA. We bought a house with a 16x32 IG pool over the winter and we just pulled to cover off of the pond....err pool. Well right now it looks like a pond. The pool was closed for the last 2 seasons. It was winterized properly. And all of the equipment works great with no leaks. I found this site and it looks you guys know what you are talking about. I will be buying my FAS-DPD test kit tonight when I get home along with lots of bleach. I have a long way to go! If anyone does read this today, I have a vinyl liner. Is there a point where too much bleach will harm it or my pool Equipment? Also, I have a DE filter that we ran for a bit and it gets clogged in 20 min due to the large amount of algea. A friend had suggested that until I get alot of the silt and algea out, I should run on recirculate while I am SLAMing the pool. Thoughts?

Hi Bill, welcome to TFP! :wave: It's great you are ordering the FAS-DPD kit to test FC & CC. The higher SLAM/Shock FC levels are safe as long as you do not exceed what is allowed based on your current CYA (see Chlorine/CTA Chart link below in my sig). So if you don't have a way to test CYA yourself, you may want to add that to your "wish list". :) The "SLAM" link is also below.

Other than that, please add your state (PA) to your location as many folks when they first see your post will think you're from the Lone Star state. Yee Haa. :) Welcome.

Hi, Bill! :wave:

First Q: Stay within our guidelines for shock level FC depending on CYA and you won't have any liner bleaching issues. The actual aggressive/active chlorine is buffered by the CYA.
HOCl.gif

If you have a multiport valve on your DE filter, you're a lucky man. Yes, run on recirculate during the kill phase. Run it on waste when vacuuming up the sludge that settles out. Run on filter after the color turns to white/grey. If you have only a slide valve, then you're out of luck. You can't run a DE filter without DE and you can't vacuum on backwash because it's not the waste setting, it will just clog the screens up.

Here's some Inspirational Reading. Do a good job with this and post lots of pictures and you could be featured, too!

I do have a multiport valve and have vaccumed twice on waste. the first time I clogged my pump, but was able to get it going again. I will take some pics and post the progress. Thanks for the info!!

Hi, Bill! :wave:

First Q: Stay within our guidelines for shock level FC depending on CYA and you won't have any liner bleaching issues. The actual aggressive/active chlorine is buffered by the CYA.
HOCl.gif

If you have a multiport valve on your DE filter, you're a lucky man. Yes, run on recirculate during the kill phase. Run it on waste when vacuuming up the sludge that settles out. Run on filter after the color turns to white/grey. If you have only a slide valve, then you're out of luck. You can't run a DE filter without DE and you can't vacuum on backwash because it's not the waste setting, it will just clog the screens up.

Here's some Inspirational Reading. Do a good job with this and post lots of pictures and you could be featured, too!

I'd get 10-15g to start and keep it in a cool dark place like a basement.

Welcome to TFP.