Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Top not level but water depth is.. almost, is it safe?

1. Back To Top    #1

Top not level but water depth is.. almost, is it safe?

Hi

Due to soft ground on one side my poles have sunk by a couple of inches so the surface to liner measurement is out on this side to the opposite by 2 1/2 inches BUT the depth of the water measured from the same two opposite spots is only 2 cm (excuse mixing my scales) - I don't understand the physics of this to know whether the pool is safe or not.

To me it seems like the top edge of a bag of water should be able to vary quite a bit and that its the volume of water I should be worried about, but I see a lot of people measuring from surface to liner as opposed to to depth, so maybe I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

j
    12ft above ground Intex

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Top not level but water depth is.. almost, is it safe?

Hello J and welcome to TFP! Here at TFP, we generally say that our above ground pools should be level with a variance of about 1 inch. That's measured across the top of the pool and water surface since we know that no matter what's happening with the structure or ground, water will always remain level. Being 2 1/2 inches now, our concern would be the amount of pressure applied to the short-sided wall and any increased possibility of collapse. We surely wouldn't want that to happen. Ground settling is a frustrating occurrence after a pool is set-up, and we see this happen many times each year. In most cases, we recommend stabilizing and re-leveling the structure for the safety of the swimmers and the structures nearby.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

You may be able to lift each post with a helper or two and slide another paver under it. I would definitely try to slide a 2" paver under the posts.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    You may be able to lift each post with a helper or two and slide another paver under it. I would definitely try to slide a 2" paver under the posts.
    Wow that would be a result, I just took some slabs out from elsewhere in the garden.

Think it will need something like 4 people though!

If only I could get the car jack under it or something....

Might have to let some water out.

Thanks!
    12ft above ground Intex

5. Back To Top    #5

Definitely drain some water out to do this repair.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter