Replacing Filter Media

Flame

May 8, 2016
Marysville, WA.
Hi guys,

New to TFP but not to pools. I needed to replace the zeobrite in my filter as its about 6 years old and not doing quite as good a job as it used to. Went to the store since I had to replace the strainer basket in the pump. Anyway, they sold us Vitroclean filter media. We didnt really think about it until we were home when my wife said she wasn't sure about putting "glass" into the pool filter (makes sense) seeing as how there is a vinyl liner. I have not opened this as I need advice on whether or not it should be used...what should I do? :confused:

Welcome to TFP!

I think you will find most of our advice will differ greatly to what you have likely learned over the years, so be prepared for that. With that out of the way:

I would take the Vitroclean back and if you have already dumped your old Zeobrite just get regular filter sand. Water clarity begins with proper chemistry, any correctly sized filter can keep a pool perfectly clear as long as the chemistry is good. If you still have the Zeobrite in then I doubt you need to replace it just because it is 6 years old. The industry seems to have convinced people that filter media needs regularly replaced but this is just not true. Under the microscope 5 year old sand looks just like it did straight out of the bag. A sand filter can be revitalized with the occasional Deep Cleaning though.

Finally, to answer your question, no I don't think Vitroclean is a danger to you or your liner. It will have been milled down to a similar consistency to sand and will act very similar to sand in both the filter and if it gets in to your pool. Sand is just broken down silica after all, same stuff as glass.

I hope that you check out the Pool School to see some of the differences we have over the rest of the industry. You might find it very interesting and possibly an eye opener to some of the other misconceptions that plague the industry.

Thanks, saved me money. We will be returning that this weekend.

So, to update you, I opened the filter up and did a deep cleaning after watching the video. I had a mini ecosystem going on in there, complete with my own sprouts :???: . After an hour everything looked good as new. Will definitely be doing that at opening every season. I am hoping that took care of everything as I wasn't expecting to see things growing in there. Time will tell. Thanks. Heading out to pull the cover off. :gone:

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.