Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure Side Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Manalapan, New Jersey

Pressure Side Leak

New pool...mostly fixed but noticed there is a tiny, very tiny leak of water just after the pump (there's more water in the pic due to my hose). After a few hours there is a small puddling of water and if I push just above the leak area, I can see a tiny tiny bubble but nothing significant. I can't actually see water flowing from there it's so slow of a leak. Looking at it, it seams they tried to caulk around it to seal it? Assume that's a useless attempt to fix it, or is it? Does this leak even cause any big issues? Can I use silicone caulk around it? Don't want to spend $200-300 for the pool company to fix this small section of pipe if I don't have to (new pump motor, new blower, salt system... Need a money break for a few weeks lol)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    23k gal in-ground gunite w/ spa/blower, Sheer descent, Jandy AquaPure SWCG, Pentair 2HP Pump x2, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C 399k BTU gas heater, Polaris 380/Polaris PB4-60 Pump, DE filter w/ separation tank

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Pressure Side Leak

No, caulk won't help. That pipe is threaded into the pump and needs tape or dope to seal it. But, a leak that small on the pressure side is not an issue. I would not bother with it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quaker Hill, CT

If you are lucky over time a pin hole leak like that will seal itself. If it turns into a steady stream or spray it will need some attention. The only way to fix it properly would be to cut the pipe ( assuming there isn't a union near by that isn't in the picture) and unthread the nipple. Clean off the threads best as you can apply new sealant and put it back together. Not all pipe dope is compatible with PVC so read your labels before using it.
    15x30 AG Ovation Fantasy pool all Aluminum frame, 13,000 gal Vinyl Liner
    Pentair Super flo VS, Crystal Flo II 19" sand filter
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

San Antonio, TX

High-Temp Union - CMP

These are the way to go, especially on Whisperflo pumps.