Semi-in ground pool - newbie - help much appreciated!

May 8, 2016
paramus, nj
Hello everyone!,

Looking to install a semi-inground pool on a slope in my backyard. Maybe a Radiant 16 x 32 oval. Questions:

1. Can the pool be "cut into" the slope of the yard such that one end of the pool is even with the level part of the yard but the other end (over the slope) is more out of the ground? I know I might have to build up the downside (stick dirt underneath the sloped end) but I heard this is risky because it can shift over time and cause structural damage. I don't know how much of the far side will be sticking out of the ground.

2. What materials/ technique should be used to build up the downside? Gravel?

3. What happens on the far end of the pool - I guess it has to be fenced because if someone jumps off the far end over the sloped yard - the fall could be like six feet?

4. Is a vermiculite and portland mixture good for the underside of the pool?

Lots of questions - any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,

You don't want the pool resting on a base that is not existing, undisturbed soil with a base material of a few inches of your choice. Attempting to build up underneath the pool more than a couple inches with base material will lead to problems. It will settle over time.

Vermiculite and portland mixtures are used often as a base underneath inground, vinyl lined pools. Would certainly work as a base for an AG pool as well.

Thanks - dealer says a pavers cannot cover the entire sides of the radiant pool if on a slope - that it needs to have a patio built around the pool for the pavers to be able to rest on top of the patio. So on the far end, where the yard has a steep slope, a patio cannot be built(?) and thus, I will have some exposed sides of the semi-inground pool. Is that accurate??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.