Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My intex pool has 'died', what should I do next?

1. Back To Top    #1

My intex pool has 'died', what should I do next?

So....my intex pool died this year....it would have been our fourth summer using it. I barely leaned on the edge of the pool (from the outside) and heard and felt a snap...the leg snapped off flush with the base...after inspecting the other legs, most are rusted through. THe pool is no longer safe, I'm draining the water as I type. So....my question is...what should I do next?

In the end, this 16x48 intex pool cost me around $1500....the pool itself was only $350...but upgrading to the sand filter, SWG, adding foam board insulation, pavers, leveling ground, cover, test kits, etc.....it added up to around $1500.

Had I known then, what I know now, i might have gotten the largest Intex available...(pool can never be too big) OR just had one (AGP) proffesionally installed.

I have two options.....A. Buy a new 16x48 and slap it back up....the pavers are there, the ground is ready, i just set it up and fill with water and i'm back in business....this would cost me around $300 or so.

or... B. Get a pro to come in and give me a 'real' AGP....

What does it cost, roughly, to have a pro come in and set us up with a basic above ground pool? FWIW i'm the Raleigh, North Carolina area.

thanks!
    Intex 16'x48" Ultra Frame
    Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My intex pool has 'died', what should I do next?

I'm fairly new to this, but I have been pricing things recently. It would've been around $3500-$4000 for an AGP professionally installed. I could've done it myself for around $3000. I ended up going with an Intex ultra frame 24x52 with sand filter for $700.

Intex Ultra Frame 24x52 AGPIntex sand filter #128645HTH 6-way test kitPool was built and filled week of 6/24/16

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Ledvedder View Post
    I'm fairly new to this, but I have been pricing things recently. It would've been around $3500-$4000 for an AGP professionally installed. I could've done it myself for around $3000. I ended up going with an Intex ultra frame 24x52 with sand filter for $700.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Wow, $3500 is well out of our price range right now. I was thinking a low tier install, maybe a 20'x52" would be around $2000. I guess that makes the decision easy for me
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by nate81 View Post
    Wow, $3500 is well out of our price range right now. I was thinking a low tier install, maybe a 20'x52" would be around $2000. I guess that makes the decision easy for me
    Yeah, 20x52 with the filter package was around $2000 online.

Intex Ultra Frame 24x52 AGPIntex sand filter #128645HTH 6-way test kitPool was built and filled week of 6/24/16

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Hard to beat the fun per dollar of an Intex. I pretty well plan on having to get a new one every 3-4 years.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

6. Back To Top    #6

Lowest cost is just going back to an Intex, but at least you really only need to buy the pool. The other stuff is already there for you to reuse.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

We slowly upgraded from a 15' easy set, to an 18' ultra frame, and finally the 26' ultra frame. (Hubby said get the biggest, I'm not doing this again, ha ha.) to us, it's every bit as nice as the neighbor's 27' regular pool. Better, actually, because they aren't TFP users! Their kids love swimming in our pretty water, lol.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

4 years....
    That's much better than I've gotten.

We get 2-3 years before metal rust out.

Wished Intex would do a better job with the paint. If one looked inside the metal, there is no paint.
    But even if did get paint, IMHO I think the movement of the pieces would cause metal to rub threw the paint and still have same issue.

I almost thought about sealing up where all the metal is joined together. To help prevent moisture from getting in.
    But guess that's what one gets for a low cost pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kyles974 View Post
    4 years....

Wished Intex would do a better job with the paint. If one looked inside the metal, there is no paint.
    But even if did get paint, IMHO I think the movement of the pieces would cause metal to rub threw the paint and still have same issue.

I almost thought about sealing up where all the metal is joined together. To help prevent moisture from getting in.
    But guess that's what one gets for a low cost pool.
    We just had to purchase a new intex from rust. The salt system is great but the salt water and metal poles don't get along very well. I'm either going to go chlorine or seal up the joints with gorilla tape. I saw a picture somewhere just recently where someone had sealed the joints with some type of tape. But, even if you seal the top I guess the water would still possibly rust the bottom of the pole that sits in the plastic housing.
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

10. Back To Top    #10

Nate81
    I'd suggest getting a new Intex pool and staying away from the saltwater system. I've seen terrible rusted up Intex pools and they all had the same thing in common, a saltwater system. And then I've seen Intex pools that have lasted for years (mine included) with not a spot of rust and they all had the same thing in common, no saltwater system. Just my two cents worth.
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kyles974 View Post
    4 years....

We only got 3 seasons out of it. This would have been our fourth ....but I feel it isnt safe for my family. So I drained it yesterday, in fact.

It turns out Intex has discontinued the 16x48 Ultra Frame....the only ones I can find are ebay (insanely high prices) and there are a few on clist.

I'd hate to 'upgrade' to a 18....that digging omg....so much of it, and i did it all by hand the first time, but seriously had i known...i would have gotten the largest intex they made back then.

I guess we're gonna try and get one of the craigslist pools.

Intex charges $11.xx PER LEG...not including the 'T' and then i need the horizontal parts....sooo....forget that option.
    Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

take the frame of the new pool to a powdercoater or someone who does spray in bedliners to see how much it would be. IF you can put the frame together first that would be perfect. OR, maybe just get LOADS of liquid tape and go crazy with it on the frame. It would look like the famous plastic dipped lawn furniture of the 90's, but black
    25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a Polaris 180 cleaner on it's last wheel (haha). I'm still not sure about water restrictions, but haven't gotten any hate mail about the amt I used last summer. I absolutely LOVE my TF-100 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by nate81 View Post
    We only got 3 seasons out of it. This would have been our fourth ....but I feel it isnt safe for my family. So I drained it yesterday, in fact.

It turns out Intex has discontinued the 16x48 Ultra Frame....the only ones I can find are ebay (insanely high prices) and there are a few on clist.

I'd hate to 'upgrade' to a 18....that digging omg....so much of it, and i did it all by hand the first time, but seriously had i known...i would have gotten the largest intex they made back then.

I guess we're gonna try and get one of the craigslist pools.

Intex charges $11.xx PER LEG...not including the 'T' and then i need the horizontal parts....sooo....forget that option.
    Academy Sports sells the 16x48. Just bought a new one this weekend. The only difference is this one has the dual intakes which im going to make in to returns instead. Was on sell for $349 instead of the regular $399
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

14. Back To Top    #14

Nate81
    Walmart sells a Colman 16x48 pool for $324. I have never had any experience with a Colman, but have read on here that people say they are about the same as Intex. I don't know for sure about this. I also saw that Walmart does sell the 16x48 Intex ultra from, but it's nearly $600. We had a landscaper come out and level us a 30 ft square for out 26 footer this spring. Cost $250. Well worth every penny if you ask me. Anyways, just some thoughts
    Mike

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Piper Mike View Post
    Nate81
    Walmart sells a Colman 16x48 pool for $324. I have never had any experience with a Colman, but have read on here that people say they are about the same as Intex. I don't know for sure about this. I also saw that Walmart does sell the 16x48 Intex ultra from, but it's nearly $600. We had a landscaper come out and level us a 30 ft square for out 26 footer this spring. Cost $250. Well worth every penny if you ask me. Anyways, just some thoughts
    Mike
    I saw that coleman one too! It looks identical to the intex.....I'm wondering if the legs would align with the pavers from my intex, can anyone confirm they are the same exact pool just stamped with a different brand name?
    Taylor K-2006

16. Back To Top    #16

If you bond the pool, it will help prevent the rusting, especially if you use a zinc anode. I know intex pools/pumps are not necessarily required nor designed to be bonded, but our inspector required us to bond ours. We had a small amount of rust starting at the base of the leg closest to the pump, but after bonding, it hasn't gotten worse and there is no rust anywhere else. We are going on our 4th season with SWG...
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

17. Back To Top    #17

A sacrificial anode! Great idea!!
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC View Post
    If you bond the pool, it will help prevent the rusting, especially if you use a zinc anode. I know intex pools/pumps are not necessarily required nor designed to be bonded, but our inspector required us to bond ours. We had a small amount of rust starting at the base of the leg closest to the pump, but after bonding, it hasn't gotten worse and there is no rust anywhere else. We are going on our 4th season with SWG...
    I don't know what bonding means. Could you give me some terms to Google. I think I might partially understand. I used to install outdoor water stoves. And in them we would put a rod. The idea was the rod would rust before the boiler. If this is what you're talking about how would I do this with my pool?
    Taylor K-2006

19. Back To Top    #19

Hi Nate81
    bonding is not necessary if you just get rid of your SWG system. These cheaper pool frames can't handle the salt. There's no reason the new pool wouldn't last for awhile longer then your current one if you just stayed away from the salt. Just my opinion of course.

20. Back To Top    #20

Just do a search for above ground pool bonding. Essentially it involves running a continuous loop of 8-guage bare copper wire around your pool with attachments using copper lugs to at least 4 of the legs, any metal ladders, and to a water bond (usually in the skimmer), if the pump doesn't have a bonding lug, you can bury the excess cable near the pump, you don't need to bury the cable as deep or as far from the pool as code specifies for it to be effective. I just went around the pool at the same perimeter as the legs and made a short u bend up on every 3rd leg to attach the lugs. (lugs were attached using stainless steel nutserts (threaded rivet inserts) and stainless bolts) water bond kit from amazon...
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast