Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt water cell probs

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt water cell probs

I just recently replaced my Hayward circuit board with an after market board by Optimum. The prob I have is that when I start the system up, the power light and no flow light comes on. When the no flow light goes out, the generating light comes on for about 2 mins and then goes out and the check salt and check cement lights come on steady. I have checked the cell, re-installed it, pushed the diagonistic button and held for 3 secs, but the check salt does not reset - stays on steady. My salt reading has been at 2200 but today started showing 2100. Do I just need to add more salt or could my cell need replacing?
    Hi, I am located in Middle TN area, have a 16' x 32' vynal liner, in ground pool and am using a T-9 Hayward Salt Generator system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt water cell probs

You probably have to add salt, but you should test the water for salt before adding any.

I use the Taylor K-1766 salt test.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

3. Back To Top    #3

That sounds low, what does the manual recommend for optimum salt level? Most SWGs want 3000ish ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

The board usually comes preset for the T15 cell. Since you have a T9 cell, you have to change the setting or the salt will read low. Push the diagnostic button until T15 is displayed and then move the switch from auto to superchlorinate and back to auto until T9 is displayed.

If the setting is correct, the salt might be low or the cell might be wearing out.

How old is the cell?

Have you verified the actual salt level?

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The check salt and inspect cell will come on if salt level is below 2500ppm add more salt till 3000ppm and recheck

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If the problem still occurs the salt cell is bad, most pool stores can test them..

(Pool technican for 4 years)

7. Back To Top    #7

The water should be tested with a reliable salt test before salt is added.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

8. Back To Top    #8

Really no need to bring an aquarite cell in for testing. If the salt reading on the box is right, the cell is fine.

The volts tells you if the circuit board is good and the salt reading tells you if the cell is good.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Really no need to bring an aquarite cell in for testing. If the salt reading on the box is right, the cell is fine.

The volts tells you if the circuit board is good and the salt reading tells you if the cell is good.
    Yeah if you have a salt tester and the salt diagnostic of the board is (-2500) and the salt tester says 2500 you don't have to get it tested. 9/10 people don't have a salt tester and an aquarite board

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

But your salt cell could also still be bad and be giving a good reading on salt but not generating. Seen it multiple times

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Just do yourself a favor go to the pool store that will test your cell and a water sample. Have them test the water sample first. If the salt is on par with your board the cell is probably good.

If not have them test the cell. Don't do unnecessary steps

12. Back To Top    #12

A bad cell won't give a good instant salt reading. If the instant salt reading is correct for at least ten minutes, the cell is good.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    A bad cell won't give a good instant salt reading. If the instant salt reading is correct for at least ten minutes, the cell is good.
    This is completely incorrect

14. Back To Top    #14

The salt reading is calculated from the performance of the cell. If the cell is underperforming, the instant salt will read low. For the salt reading to be good, the cell has to be performing properly.

Note: You have to give a few minutes for the readings to stabilize.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Re: Phosphates can also cease a salt water pool from generating chlorine

But right level of chlorine for the relevant CYA level= no algae= no need to worry about phosphates
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

16. Back To Top    #16

Side discussion about phosphates was moved HERE.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks everyone! Took a sample of water to pool store - salt level tested low. Added 4 bags of salt and seems to be working great now. Thanks again.
    Hi, I am located in Middle TN area, have a 16' x 32' vynal liner, in ground pool and am using a T-9 Hayward Salt Generator system.

18. Back To Top    #18

Great!!!

Now get your own Taylor salt test

Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits for all the other chemistry parameters?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

19. Back To Top    #19

@jblizzie re test kit - No I don't. I have been using a reg chlorine/ph/alk/acid kit that I had when I changed over to salt and taking a sample to pool store about every 2 wks for them to test. When I test my salt I have been using salt strips. I generally have very few probs with my pool. But, I have been wanting a kit for ck'ng the salt readings. Which one would you recommend?

20. Back To Top    #20

Please get one of the recommended test kits and stop trusting the horrendous pool store testing before you DO have a problem ... you may already have a problem and not realize it.

For the salt, there is only 1 Taylor salt test: K-1766

And I recommend the TF-100 as the best value for the overall test kit ... which also uses Taylor reagents
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast