How long to SLAM?

Jun 4, 2014
Madrid, Iowa
Hey all, we are on our third summer with our pool. I am usually the one taking care of the pool, but last summer I was pregnant with, then gave birth to twins, so my husband was in charge of the pool. Needless to say he didn't test it or put chemicals in it once all summer, so the pool sat and didn't get used at all. The first summer we had the pool we took it down at the end of the season but it was a pain so this past winter we left it up. My husband just drained the water and left everything up with the cover on.

Two weeks ago he got in there and scrubbed everything clean and filled up the pool, then it sat, for two weeks, with no chemicals :( I just went out, did my initial testing and added everything I needed to balance the pool except for the chlorine. There's no algae or anything, but since the pool has been sitting for 2 weeks I'm sure I need to SLAM it? How long should I keep the chlorine at SLAM level?

Hey all, we are on our third summer with our pool. I am usually the one taking care of the pool, but last summer I was pregnant with, then gave birth to twins, so my husband was in charge of the pool. Needless to say he didn't test it or put chemicals in it once all summer, so the pool sat and didn't get used at all. The first summer we had the pool we took it down at the end of the season but it was a pain so this past winter we left it up. My husband just drained the water and left everything up with the cover on.

Two weeks ago he got in there and scrubbed everything clean and filled up the pool, then it sat, for two weeks, with no chemicals :( I just went out, did my initial testing and added everything I needed to balance the pool except for the chlorine. There's no algae or anything, but since the pool has been sitting for 2 weeks I'm sure I need to SLAM it? How long should I keep the chlorine at SLAM level?
Same criteria:
Water is clear
CC is less than .5
Overnight test loses less than 1 FC.

It could be over in less than 24 hours if there's no algae. Take it up to shock level now, test again after the sun stops shining on it, and test again tomorrow morning before the sun hits it. If it passes, you're done. If not, add more bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.