Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The method works!

1. Back To Top    #1

The method works!

I found the TFPC method last year when trying to open a veritable swamp. It took about two weeks, but the results were amazing and it was pretty smooth sailing for the rest of the season. I also referred to the pool closing method when putting it up for the winter last year.

Fast forward to this spring. I tried to get the pool going a few weeks ago, but the pump had died. I finally got that straightened out, but was fearful that I'd be in for a mess because of the warm weather we've been having in middle TN. Once the water level would allow for it, I turned the pump on and poured a couple gallons of 8 month old bleach under the tarp. I just let it cycle overnight and this morning when I pulled the tarp off, the water was crystal clear! Except for a few leaves that got by me when I closed it, it looked ready for swimmers!

I tested the water and it looks WAY better than I ever imagined it would be at this point in the year:

Ch 8
    PH 7.5-7.8 (between the two)
    TA 150
    CYA 25

I'd like to lower my TA closer to 100, but I'm not at all worried about calcium hardness and my PH is only marginally high, so I'll likely just throw some muriatic acid in and see where that takes me.

Question time: The CYA is low, but I have a standby supply of pucks that help with that. This will also help keep my chlorine up while the sun starts to do it's dirty work, but I do find that I have a difficult time keeping my CYA level up above 40. Are the trichlor pucks part of my problem? I used them quite a bit last year and still struggled with CYA (I did use shock a couple times as well, but still the same problem). I am in the process of transitioning from sand to a cartridge filter, so I hope not doing back flushes will help. Any other advice?
    24' Round Above Ground: 18K-ish Gallons - Vinyl - Bleach Chlorination - Waterway 1 HP pump with EcoKleer 19" Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The method works!

Quote Originally Posted by paaccc View Post
    I found the TFPC method last year when trying to open a veritable swamp. It took about two weeks, but the results were amazing and it was pretty smooth sailing for the rest of the season. I also referred to the pool closing method when putting it up for the winter last year.

Fast forward to this spring. I tried to get the pool going a few weeks ago, but the pump had died. I finally got that straightened out, but was fearful that I'd be in for a mess because of the warm weather we've been having in middle TN. Once the water level would allow for it, I turned the pump on and poured a couple gallons of 8 month old bleach under the tarp. I just let it cycle overnight and this morning when I pulled the tarp off, the water was crystal clear! Except for a few leaves that got by me when I closed it, it looked ready for swimmers!

I tested the water and it looks WAY better than I ever imagined it would be at this point in the year:

Ch 8
    PH 7.5-7.8 (between the two)
    TA 150
    CYA 25

I'd like to lower my TA closer to 100, but I'm not at all worried about calcium hardness and my PH is only marginally high, so I'll likely just throw some muriatic acid in and see where that takes me.

Question time: The CYA is low, but I have a standby supply of pucks that help with that. This will also help keep my chlorine up while the sun starts to do it's dirty work, but I do find that I have a difficult time keeping my CYA level up above 40. Are the trichlor pucks part of my problem? I used them quite a bit last year and still struggled with CYA (I did use shock a couple times as well, but still the same problem). I am in the process of transitioning from sand to a cartridge filter, so I hope not doing back flushes will help. Any other advice?
    Pucks are fine for what you propose. We're not entirely against trichlor - we're just opposed to people blindly using them without knowing the side effects. Since you want the side effects, trichlor is a good choice. Check out Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of Poolmath. It will tell you how much FC, CYA, and estimated pH change each 8 oz puck will have on your water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

This is an awesome post to read! You have learned so much and it has paid off this Spring! NICE!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Pucks are fine for what you propose. We're not entirely against trichlor - we're just opposed to people blindly using them without knowing the side effects. Since you want the side effects, trichlor is a good choice. Check out Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of Poolmath. It will tell you how much FC, CYA, and estimated pH change each 8 oz puck will have on your water.
    I've seen people talk about the info tool at the bottom of PoolMath before, but I had no idea it included so many options. If I'm using it properly, it looks like each puck (8oz) will only contribute about 2.5 points. I may go ahead and get some actual stabilizer to get it up quicker. I also found out that my pool holds much less water than I thought. The calculator comes up with like 13,500 gallons. This chart shows 17,000 gallons, but if you do the math they include at the bottom, their figures for a 24' pool are wrong! This will all help going forward, especially with getting my chemicals properly metered.

Any thoughts on keeping my CYA from tanking all the time? Thanks!
    24' Round Above Ground: 18K-ish Gallons - Vinyl - Bleach Chlorination - Waterway 1 HP pump with EcoKleer 19" Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice work! You are getting good at this!

On your TA. If your PH is rising and you need to add acid every week to lower it that will also lower your TA. Often, after a period of weeks or a month or two, your PH and TA will reach equilibrium and you will need to add less and less acid. This usually occurs between 60 and 80 ppm of TA. If you want to lower TA faster then do this, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach