LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I posted in Chemistry 201 yesterday about my Home Depot HDX Liquid Chlorine and how to read the date code. Ive had trouble maintaining my FC levels for the last three weeks. We've been burning through chlorine so fast I got a little sideways. First it appeared to have a small algae outbreak. Couldn't get get it under control so I started to think it was mustard algae. ( yellowish/green on the shady side of the pool and clumps on the bottom that poofed into nothing when I brushed.) I was vacuuming every weekend and brushing every other day. This weekend starting Thursday afternoon I brushed, vacuumed Friday morning and increased my FC to 29, as directed by pool math. Went through about 128 oz. bleach every three hours trying to maintain 29 ppm. Then read the date code on the boxes of chlorine I purchased. Looks as if most of it was manufactured in January or February. The trouble is, I purchased it in the first week in May.

So now my question. I am going to let the numbers return to normal levels. Check everything again, get everything stable and start again if a slam is necessary with fresh liquid chlorine..

What sayeth all ya'll?

thanks in advance, Bob

Last edited:
I don't know how old is too old but that doesn't seem terrible. What is your CYA level? When was the last time you tested it?

If you calculate a dose of chlorine in Poolmath to take you from say 10 to 20, run the pump for 15 minutes and see how close it gets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.