Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A little direction

1. Back To Top    #1

Charter Oak, California

A little direction

I posted in Chemistry 201 yesterday about my Home Depot HDX Liquid Chlorine and how to read the date code. Ive had trouble maintaining my FC levels for the last three weeks. We've been burning through chlorine so fast I got a little sideways. First it appeared to have a small algae outbreak. Couldn't get get it under control so I started to think it was mustard algae. ( yellowish/green on the shady side of the pool and clumps on the bottom that poofed into nothing when I brushed.) I was vacuuming every weekend and brushing every other day. This weekend starting Thursday afternoon I brushed, vacuumed Friday morning and increased my FC to 29, as directed by pool math. Went through about 128 oz. bleach every three hours trying to maintain 29 ppm. Then read the date code on the boxes of chlorine I purchased. Looks as if most of it was manufactured in January or February. The trouble is, I purchased it in the first week in May.

So now my question. I am going to let the numbers return to normal levels. Check everything again, get everything stable and start again if a slam is necessary with fresh liquid chlorine..

What sayeth all ya'll?

thanks in advance, Bob
    Last edited by Schnozz; 05-08-2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Submitted before finished
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; 1/2 HP Intex Pump 1600 GPH; 12" Sand Filter, Intex in pool skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: A little direction

If you haven't checked pH in three weeks, I think it's a very prudent plan. If you checked it Friday, don't let up until yopu pass all three SLAM tests.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: A little direction

I don't know how old is too old but that doesn't seem terrible. What is your CYA level? When was the last time you tested it?

If you calculate a dose of chlorine in Poolmath to take you from say 10 to 20, run the pump for 15 minutes and see how close it gets.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach