Replace actuator

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
IMG_3300.jpg

Above is a picture of an actuator I have that controls how much water goes to my slide. I realize I would much prefer to be able to control it with a manual valve because the actuator only gives me two options (large amount and smaller amount) of water to the slide. And water is often bouncing off the slide onto my landscaping even on the low option, so it would be easier if I could manually adjust the valve.

How would I take off the actuator and put on a handle that I could move around while adjusting the water to the slide. I'm not very handy, but am thinking it is probably not too difficult. What brand of handle should I get?

Thanks

Unscrew the top handle (black thumb screw) and slide manual handle off actuator shaft.

There are four (4) anchor screws holding the actuator on to the Jandy valve. Remove those four screws (you need a big Phillips head screw driver) and the actuator will just slide off. Put the anchor screws back on (they may be too long and require a trip to the hardware store to get similar thread, but shorter length screws).

Put the handle you took off in Step one back onto the Jandy valve. Viola! You now have a manual valve.

Question - those actuators can be opened up and the internal cams adjust to different stopping points. It may just be that you need to adjust the actuators stopping points to give you a little less flow when the "SLIDE" is activated by your controller. If you look up the actuator manual online - http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0570800.pdf , it tells you how to adjust the stop points.

Matt,

When you refer to the black thumb screw, do you mean the black locking knob that you turn counterclockwise (or an actual screw)?

When I take the actuator off, what do I need to do with the connection from the actuator to the IAQUALINK?. It looks like there is a wire that goes from the actuator into the IAQUALINK

Thanks for the suggestion about just adjusting the actuator, but I think having a manual valve will work better for me.

The locking nut on top of the handle. It's what fastened the handle onto the actuator shaft.

If you take the actuator off, then you will need to open up your IAquaLink panel and see where the wire is connected to. It's usually connected to the logic board with a three pin connector. You should be able to detach it and then pull the cable from the IAquaLink box. Make sure to kill the power to the IAquaLink, you should never makes these changes while the system is powered up (for your safety and the safety of the equipment). You can then just keep the actuator as a spare for any others that might go bad (and they do go flaky sometimes). The final step will be to adjust the programming to make sure the IAquaLink knows there's no valve there...I have no idea how to do that as I use Pentair equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.