Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blown out filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Blown out filter?

Just came out to find my filter enclosure cracked and spewing water everywhere. Right now I have a Pentair FNS 48 and I was thinking about replacing it with a FNS 60 (which is just larger capacity). All the inlet and outlet locations are in the same place, so it should be an easy swap out.

Is there any issue going with a larger filter size?

The filter unit is about 8 years old and it does see a bunch of sun (equipment is south west exposure).

I don't maintain my own pool ( I know, I know), but is it possible that the pressure was increased in the filter because the company was not cleaning the filter as often as needed? I don't know what a dirty DE filter looks like.. but mine was filled with tons of DE when I took it out just now and looked dirty..

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Blown out filter?

I don't think it's the pool service's fault. The filter grids would be crushed flat if high pressure was the culprit, and the amount of DE caked inside looks familiar to me.

There is no issue with a larger filter at all. And a larger filter with the same footprint makes upgrading real easy. Do it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Blown out filter?

Thanks Richard. I'm going to do the larger one. Should be a simple install with the two threaded unions!