Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with deep cleaning sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Help with deep cleaning sand filter

Good day TFP experts. The time has come that I feel we need to deep clean our sand filter. It is almost five years old and we have never done this and we need some hand holding please. I've read other threads on this and watched the YouTube videos found in the forum. But, my questions are about the need to cut the PVC and install unions. This is a scary thought to us. We are pretty handy but would like suggestions on where to cut and what unions are reccomended. And what we might want to inspect once we have the filter open. Picture attached. All recommendations are greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Lord......iPad issue? I couldn't have made that go upside down if I had actually tried to. Sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with deep cleaning sand filter

Just chop those three horizontal pipes a few inches from the elbows somewhere. You'll need to allow some room for the unions.

Check out I want to deep clean my sand filter...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

easy recommendation, but you have to order online

I can see it is a hayward sand filter but what model, we need to know the size of the inlet/outlet... I think it is 1.5 inch...

if it is 1.5 inch get 3 of these CMP 1.5 in. MIP x 1.5 in. PVC Hi-Temp Union 21063-150-000- Nipples Unions Tools - 21063-150-00- Pool Products- MyPoolYard.com

once you receive them, take it apart and put the threaded part next to each input/output, the threads/O-ring right next to the filter then you will mark you pipe just past the black piece (where it says O-ring) in the picture below... once the PVC is cut you will dry fit (no glue) and make sure it will fit, then screw in the o-ring side and glue the gasket side to the pipe, make sure the screw on part is over the pipe first ask me how I know that LOL....

You can also use this type of union and place somewhere in the pipe... Amazon.com : Hayward SP14953S 1-1/2-Inch MIP by 1-1/2-Inch Socket White ABS Flush Male/Female Socket Union : Pipe Fittings : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Thank you for your responses. The model is S244T. And forgive me for what may seem like stupid questions. Since there is a union above the SWG, can we avoid cutting that pipe or would that be too cumbersome to deal with? Also as far as water goes, should we be ok by just shutting off the return valves to do this work?

I've learned everything I know about taking care of our pool here on this forum but have never had to tackle much on the mechanical side since we had it built new in 2012. So on this I'm ignorant. And grateful for answers.

One more question......what if (and I don't think this has happened) someone had ever moved that gasket while the pump was on and damaged something. Would this be apparent without opening the filter or something we should inspect for once open?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    Thank you for your responses. The model is S244T. And forgive me for what may seem like stupid questions. Since there is a union above the SWG, can we avoid cutting that pipe or would that be too cumbersome to deal with? Also as far as water goes, should we be ok by just shutting off the return valves to do this work?
    I missed that. Yes! That saves a little cutting. And sure, close off everything. Also kill the pump power at the circuit breaker, in case the timer decides it's ready before you are.

I've learned everything I know about taking care of our pool here on this forum but have never had to tackle much on the mechanical side since we had it built new in 2012. So on this I'm ignorant. And grateful for answers.

One more question......what if (and I don't think this has happened) someone had ever moved that gasket while the pump was on and damaged something. Would this be apparent without opening the filter or something we should inspect for once open?
    You mean the spider gasket? If it was bad, you be losing water out the waste pipe. Or do you mean the big O-ring between the top and the tank? It would be spewing water every time the pump was on if someone messed it up. That should just need some grease on it when you reassemble it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Thanks Richard and cowboycasey. I read in another thread the the unions sold at a big box store weren't as good as those like the ones linked by cowboycasey. Should I really be ordering online and not trusting my lowes plumbing department?

Hopefully last question until we actually tackle this next weekend hopefully.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

For pvc fittings lowes and home depot charge a lot and don't offer good quality fittings. On most pvc it doesn't matter much. Good quality unions are worth the trouble to get.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Good to know. I will order what was reccomended above. Thanks all.