Storing acid

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
Is it ok to leave a bottle of muriatic acid in one of those giant rubber storage bins? I just bought a bottle for the first time in preparation for our new pool. I thought the bottles were vented, but the kind I bought is not. The rubber bin would be stored in my garden shed which at one point was an old garage attached to the house. Always cool in there. If it helps I bought the Jassco 34.5% bottle from Lowes.

BTW, Lowes has on sale right now a 3 pack of standard chloride bleach for $4.24.

Looks like day 47. I need to take it back anyways. There was a big display of regular bleach, and a big displayed if splash free. I grabbed from the regular display, but got a case of splash free. Grrrr...
mr.bubble_thumb.jpg

Return it.

Yep, splashless is no good for our pools. Foams up good in a HE washing machine too.

The acid is very stable over a wide range of temperatures, you can keep that outside. I buy one gallon at a time and keep that in a white 5 gallon bucket with a lid, which fits fairly tightly. The lid keeps what little fumes that make it past the cap contained, and I haven't even noticed much at all in the way of fumes with my bucket. The metal bucket handle doesn't even have the slightest hint of corrosion. Here's how it looks (appropriate hazmat placard optional :) )

View attachment 36590

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.