Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Storing acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Storing acid

Is it ok to leave a bottle of muriatic acid in one of those giant rubber storage bins? I just bought a bottle for the first time in preparation for our new pool. I thought the bottles were vented, but the kind I bought is not. The rubber bin would be stored in my garden shed which at one point was an old garage attached to the house. Always cool in there. If it helps I bought the Jassco 34.5% bottle from Lowes.

BTW, Lowes has on sale right now a 3 pack of standard chloride bleach for $4.24.
    14x28 Kidney IG vinyl pool, 9250 gallons. Pentair 1.5hp superflo variable speed, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Hayward Heatpro 110,000k heat pump, Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Polaris 280, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Storing acid

That sounds fine for the acid. Cool and away from metal stuff.

Did you see the datecode on the bleach? It might be on sale for a reason.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, a rubbermaid bin is fine. I wouldn't snap the lid on too tight, because if it does vent, when you open the lid you'll get overwhelmed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    That sounds fine for the acid. Cool and away from metal stuff.

Did you see the datecode on the bleach? It might be on sale for a reason.
    Where do I look to see the code, and what should I be concerned with? I did by a case.
    14x28 Kidney IG vinyl pool, 9250 gallons. Pentair 1.5hp superflo variable speed, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Hayward Heatpro 110,000k heat pump, Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Polaris 280, Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rmclain73 View Post
    Where do I look to see the code, and what should I be concerned with? I did by a case.
    Chlorine Date Code Decoder/Easy Way to Measure Strength.

Today is the 129th day of 2016
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like day 47. I need to take it back anyways. There was a big display of regular bleach, and a big display of splash free. I grabbed from the regular display, but got a case of splash free. Grrrr...

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Good thing you noticed that!!! Would have been no fun to find out after you started adding it.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by rmclain73 View Post
    Looks like day 47. I need to take it back anyways. There was a big display of regular bleach, and a big displayed if splash free. I grabbed from the regular display, but got a case of splash free. Grrrr...

Return it.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep, splashless is no good for our pools. Foams up good in a HE washing machine too.

The acid is very stable over a wide range of temperatures, you can keep that outside. I buy one gallon at a time and keep that in a white 5 gallon bucket with a lid, which fits fairly tightly. The lid keeps what little fumes that make it past the cap contained, and I haven't even noticed much at all in the way of fumes with my bucket. The metal bucket handle doesn't even have the slightest hint of corrosion. Here's how it looks (appropriate hazmat placard optional )

Attachment 36590
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter