Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cutting a Solar Cover for Free Form Pool and What Reel?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cutting a Solar Cover for Free Form Pool and What Reel?

We just purchased a solar cover for our pool after mice destroyed the one we stored for the winter in my mom's shed. We have a free form pool so I purchased a rectangular shaped cover and plan to trim. We laid it out over the pool for three days and then did a "rough" trim. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that you should let your cover sit for two weeks before doing a final fitted trim but now I cannot find that. Does anyone know if that is the case or are we ok to go ahead and do the final cut?

Also, we are interested in a reel for the cover but can't believe how they range from $250 to $1500. Such a difference! Any recommendations or things we need to consider when purchasing?

Thanks!
    Kristina
    14.5'x32' irregular shape Pebble Tec SWG pool; 12,000 gal; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter; Pentair IntelliPh Ph Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cutting a Solar Cover for Free Form Pool and What Reel?

Hey christina, I cut mine 10 minutes after I had it on the pool (had to find scissors )

As far as cover reels, they are crazzy aren't they.. I went with this one and it is working good for me
    Amazon.com : Deluxe Above Ground Pool Solar Cover Reel - Up To 28 Feet Wide : Swimming Pool Solar Reel Systems : Patio, Lawn Garden

But this one is for an above ground

here is one that looks close to the same Amazon.com : Rocky Garden
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Well you have been a TON of help in every way CowboyCasey! Thank you!

Guess we will be holding off on buying a reel though!
    14.5'x32' irregular shape Pebble Tec SWG pool; 12,000 gal; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter; Pentair IntelliPh Ph Controller

4. Back To Top    #4

Look up posts by user mas985. He has a link in his signature for a DIY reel using DWV PVC pipe (the pipe floats on water). It's a DIY version of The Solar Roller reel system. I plan on cutting my new cover as well this week. Leave it in the water for 24-48 hours to let it shrink/expand as needed and then do a final trim cut.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates