Need to drain some water out of my inground pool

Carla16

Bronze Supporter
Apr 17, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Hi all,

Thanks for the support and advice when we first got the pool plastered and filled. I'm doing the full chemistry weekly and following the results from Pool Math- sort of. Bringing things up slowly to make sure I don't overshoot CYA and TA. But progress is being made. I am confident in what we're doing. Just wish it weren't such a messy spring!

We've had loads of rain here and I really need to drain some water off. I'm just going to run to the home improvement big box and ask for advice on which pump to buy. I figure its a few to several hundred gallons per inch? I'd say I need to drain down about 2-3" at least.

Any suggestions on methods once I set this rig up? deep end? Shallow? hold it off the bottom? put it on the bottom? I'm completely ignorant. I did try searching, but didn't find anything exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Okay good, that's more or less what I was going to do. I have the "tanning ledge" so I was gonna use that. I didn't get THE cheapest one, but I got the second cheapest. It was only $5 more and will be much quicker. I decided $5 on $50 was worth that :)

Thanks very much

Well, if the water is way too high, it's got to come down. As I understand, the skimmers don't work so well when the water is above the coping. And there's only more rain in the forecast. How else would you propose I lower the water level? I can't use the back wash right now because of some landscaping. $50 on a pump that I will have for other times when we get excessive rainfall in a short period of time seems like a very appropriate item to have on hand with a pool. And $50 is money well spent to protect the new grass and other landscaping recently done. We can also use it to lower the water before closing for winter. Is my thinking off?

Thanks triptyx for checking to make sure she really needed the buy the pump. Here at TFP we do try to make sure everyone knows the whats and whys and to save them money if we can.

Carla, good job taking care of your pool and doing what needs to be done. You are going to have a great summer!

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.