Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to start

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to start

Hi everyone,

We pulled the winter cover off yesterday (Saturday). Scooped a few leaves out, lightly scrubbed the walls and put the solar cover on. The pool guy is coming on Friday to get the pump and heater ready to go. I hope to get the chemicals where they need to be before he comes. Questions for my pool gurus.

Where do I start? I know the TA and PH are important to get right so we don't ruin the heater (installed last fall, haven't used it yet).

PH is 7.2-7.5 (hard to tell with the color test)
    FC 1
    CC 0
    TC 1
    TA 40
    CYA 0

Thanks
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Sand, TFP Test, Gas heater
    Minnesota

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to start

You can't really test or treat the water without circulation.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Maybe pick up a cheap submersible pump to at least get the water moving around?
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Maybe pick up a cheap submersible pump to at least get the water moving around?
    Great idea. I have one or two of those? Any suggestions what to do next for chemicals?
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Sand, TFP Test, Gas heater
    Minnesota

5. Back To Top    #5

PH between 7.2 and 7.8 will keep your heater good. PH below 7.0 is what can hurt your heater. Add 30 ppm of CYA in a sock in front of a return or pump and SLAM the pool if there is algae, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Or maintain chlorine if there isn't. Chlorine CYA Chart.

As a member since 2012 I assume you have one of the recommended test kits. You can add it to your sig if you want.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach