Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to start

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to start

Hi everyone,

We pulled the winter cover off yesterday (Saturday). Scooped a few leaves out, lightly scrubbed the walls and put the solar cover on. The pool guy is coming on Friday to get the pump and heater ready to go. I hope to get the chemicals where they need to be before he comes. Questions for my pool gurus.

Where do I start? I know the TA and PH are important to get right so we don't ruin the heater (installed last fall, haven't used it yet).

PH is 7.2-7.5 (hard to tell with the color test)
    FC 1
    CC 0
    TC 1
    TA 40
    CYA 0

Thanks
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Sand, TFP Test, Gas heater
    Minnesota

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to start

You can't really test or treat the water without circulation.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Maybe pick up a cheap submersible pump to at least get the water moving around?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Maybe pick up a cheap submersible pump to at least get the water moving around?
    Great idea. I have one or two of those? Any suggestions what to do next for chemicals?
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Sand, TFP Test, Gas heater
    Minnesota

5. Back To Top    #5

PH between 7.2 and 7.8 will keep your heater good. PH below 7.0 is what can hurt your heater. Add 30 ppm of CYA in a sock in front of a return or pump and SLAM the pool if there is algae, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. Or maintain chlorine if there isn't. Chlorine CYA Chart.

As a member since 2012 I assume you have one of the recommended test kits. You can add it to your sig if you want.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach