Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with proper pool maintanene ( scrubbing walls etc) after slamming

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Help with proper pool maintanene ( scrubbing walls etc) after slamming

Thank you again to all that has helped with my pool. Now that I have returned to the TFP way of caring for my pool, any suggestions on keeping my plaster looking pretty, white and free of algae? I got in it yesterday and noticed, in the little dips of the plaster, some green spots, where the algae was the worst before I slammed. Not bad but I can see it lol. Yes I had to get really close BUT its still there. I am assuming over time of keeping FC up it will clear.
    Should I brush my pool daily or a few times a week? My new pool brush, the whale, will be here tomorrow. Vacuum weekly or a few times? I get a lot of blown in pollen(bad in my area) and dirt/grass from mowing/blowing yard also. My rover picks up a lot of debris which I empty a few times while its on depending on amount. I have trees(neighbors) all over, the leaves love my yard lol. I have to rake twice a day in the fall to keep them out of my pool.

Any other suggestions welcomed!
    Darla Reed :-)

25,000 gal, Nautalis NS60 D.E. filter, Plaster, IG, 30 plus yrs oval pool. Plaster resurfaced 10+ yrs ago.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Help with proper pool maintanene ( scrubbing walls etc) after slamming

I see that you SLAMed your pool recently. Did you brush your pool daily with an algae/wire brush while SLAMing your plaster pool?

Brushing with the an algae/wire brush is important because algae has a biofilm that protects itself from the chlorine. Brushing removes the biofilm and allows the chlorine to kill the algae.

The wall whale is great for keeping the plaster clean, but not the best choice in getting rid of algae on the walls.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I did at least twice a day because my plaster has little valleys, hard to explain it, like popcorn ceiling? just smaller bumps. I did my best on it. We shall see I guess. I have a wire brush btw.
    Last edited by blueyes39; 05-08-2016 at 07:28 AM. Reason: update

25,000 gal, Nautalis NS60 D.E. filter, Plaster, IG, 30 plus yrs oval pool. Plaster resurfaced 10+ yrs ago.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a new Wall Whale coming tomorrow as well. Well Darla, not sure what happened in your case. After all that work before with the SLAM, as long as the FC is maintained solidly at the target there should be no problem ... unless you have another algae hiding spot or some areas with poor circulation. Sometimes that happens. But if you can actually see algae, you should bump that FC up to SLAM level right away. Take no chances. Sooner the better. Good thing is that based on your history with a recent SLAM it shouldn't take as long.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Visible algae is a still a criteria for SLAMing... no matter how small.

I suggest continuing the SLAM. Brushing those bad areas until there is no more visible algae.

I bought a spa wire brush for small hard to reach areas. It also allows me to scrub harder in the deep end and just in smaller spots.

Last edited by kcindc; 05-08-2016 at 07:52 AM. Reason: need to continue to SLAM
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, I knew it lol. At least the water is warming up, 84 degrees right now here so I will start it AGAIN in a few days, ugh. I am getting a small wire brush, goggles and try to find a higher bleach content.
    Now, what about the maintenance I mentioned above?

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

See if this helps at all.

For right now keep working on the valleys of algae. and holding the FC higher.

I wonder if you can find some steel brushes you could strap to your feet for the shallow end? LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

yea I know lol. thanks!