Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Travertine Coping Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Travertine Coping Question

You guys know the old saying: "Trust...but verify".... Ive installed the travertine coping on my pool and I'm wondering...do the joints need to be grouted like tile or is the poly sand OK? I was thinking with all the water/splashing on the coping - if the joints are not sealed with grout the water will work its way in between the joints and could eventually degrade the mortar base. I live in So. Calif., so freeze thaw is not a problem. I was thinking more long term - to avoid any problems. On the other hand, I don't want to fill in all the divots and make it too slippery. The joints are very tight, less than 1/16.

What is the general consensus?

BTW - I like telling my my sub contractors: I asked my pool consultants and they say.... (you guys are my "consultants" !!!)

thanks in advance.

O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Travertine Coping Question

A couple of things to consider, first Polymeric sand is a relatively new construction material that was first introduced 10-15 years ago, secondly not all polymeric sand is equivalent, as it is still an evolving product.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

My travertine coping was grouted.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine was grouted too.
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

Grouted for me as well

22 x 36 ft. in ground Free Form Salt water pool; 8 x 8 raised spa; 3 ton Mossrock waterfall with its own Pentair Whisperflo 1.0 HP pump; Filter 60 sq ft Pentair FNS Plus D.E. Filter; Pentair Whisperflo Pump 2.0 HP for pool; Pentair MasterTemp Natural Gas Heater, 400k BTU; Polaris 280 w/ booster pump; Pentair Intellichlor IC40 Salt System; Ozone Joe Water Purification System; LED lights; bubbler on sunshelf

6. Back To Top    #6

Mine was not grouted, just polymeric. I actually never even considered grouting it (until now, gee thanks!! ). Being on an island, the ground moves so I do like the thought that we can remove pavers to fill and re-level easily. Perhaps this is an advantage in CA as well?
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

7. Back To Top    #7

Nice pool Frank, I live in SoCal too and our pool was completed two months ago. Thank goodness El Niño never came .

30,000 Gallon Pool IG (Pool 18' X 38' / Spa 7' X 7') - Pentair IC40 SWG - (1) Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Pump - Pentair DE FNS-Plus 60 Filter - Pentair Mastertemp 400 Heater - Pentair Easytouch 8 - Pentair Electronic valves - Pentair 5G Color LED Pool/Spa Lights - Pebble Sheen Mini Tahoe Blue - Auto Fill/Over Flow - Taylor K-2006C - Completion 3/2016.

8. Back To Top    #8

I meant my travertine coping was grouted. My decking pavers are polymeric sand.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

9. Back To Top    #9

I would DEFINTELY grout them.

Also, since you are only 1/16" spaces, make sure you use a smaller/finer grout. This will allow for more sand per area, which you really need. pack it well too.

Once it cures for 2 days [and w low humidity], then seal the grout...you can also seal the coping too at the same time, just pay extra attn. to the grout lines and make sure they get sealed well.
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    I meant my travertine coping was grouted. My decking pavers are polymeric sand.
    I was just wondering about this today What is between decking and coping? Do they grout that or use polymeric sand?
    17K gallon, 18x40, 107 perimeter, 550 sq ft gunite inground pool with raised spa. 3.5 ft. - 5.0 ft. - 4.0 ft depth. Pentair equipment. DE filter. English Walnut travertine paver decking, lueders limestone coping. Wet Edge Primera Stone Sapphire Treasure plaster.

11. Back To Top    #11

My coping is grouted. Polymeric sand on the deck and between the deck and coping.
    Completed April 2016: 22x36 3.5-5.5-4 Inground, 17,500 gallons, Aquapure SWG, Jandy 2hp Variable Speed, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280, Aqualink PDA4, Jandy Nichless LED lights, Diamondbrite color Steel Blue, Noche Travertine Coping & Deck

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Sounds like it needs to be grouted.

Im thinking about masking the grout joints closely with masking tape and using silicone caulk instead...

O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Silicone caulk will probably degrade/discolor in the sun. Just grout it.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by sham View Post
    I was just wondering about this today What is between decking and coping? Do they grout that or use polymeric sand?
    There should be an expansion joint between the coping and deck so movement in one does not affect the other. That joint should be filled with a product that allows expansion/contraction. Polymeric joint sand may allow for this movement, but I think it would be best to use a caulk-like joint sealant specifically designed for this purpose, such as Deck-O-Seal or the similar product by Sika.
    45,000 gallon IG old (1960s??) painted concrete pool; rectangular 20' by 40' with 12' deep end; one skimmer in deep, two returns in shallow
    1 HP Hayward pump; Hayward Pro Series 300 lb sand filter Model S244T
    Aquabot T4 ("Rosie")
    TF100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    Silicone caulk will probably degrade/discolor in the sun. Just grout it.
    Good point. Thanks!