Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward SP714A vs SP714T

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward SP714A vs SP714T

I opened the pool yesterday with hardly any issues. When I started the pump, water started leaking out of a crack near the pressure gauge in the multiport. It isn't leaking too badly so it's not a big deal. I plan to try epoxy to stop the leak first but I was searching for a new replacement in case that doesn't work. I tried searching for what I have (SP714A). The age is unknown but I can read the model number clearly so I'm confident that's what I have. When I search for it I only get returns for the SP714T. Is that just a newer version or is the "T" significantly different than the "A"? They look identical from the pictures. Thanks!
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward SP714A vs SP714T

The SP714A number is for the valve body only. The SP714T is for the entire valve. Hayward SP714T1 Backwash Valve Parts See Part 14 on this diagram.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! That makes sense. Is there a reason (pro or con) to just get the body? It looks like this would fix my problem since the leak is on the body. Although a complete replacement might be just as well since I don't know how old it is and will have it all apart anyway.

4. Back To Top    #4

Full replacement would be easier but more $$. Are there any issues with the handle turning or locking in place correctly? Is there any leakage out of the waste port when on recirculate or filter? If you suspect issues with other parts of the valve, it might be a good preventative fix to replace the whole valve. You would also have some replacement parts on hand in the old valve if needed later...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Good ideas. I may just replace the whole thing. Thanks!