Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: More chemical questions

1. Back To Top    #1

More chemical questions

ok I took my water sample in to a local pool place... They read my free chlorine at 3.5 and my total chlorine of 4.4 so advised I shocked to remove the combined chlorine... They are telling me to put 15 bags of their "Burnout 35" in it.. They pointed me to the display and they were almost $8.00 each.. needless to say I bought none. I understand the bleach in the pool to keep free chlorine out but how do I remove/lower the combined chlorine ?

Also they read my CYA at 151 and they told me as long as it is under 200 it is fine. I have turned off my chlorinator until I figure all this stuff out and going to purchase all the bleach.
    36,000 Gallon, 40x20 IG, Vinyl, Hayward S- 200 Sand Filter, 300,000 MasterTemp heater, 1hp Superpump, Polaris 9550 sport, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: More chemical questions

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Burnout 35 is lithium hypochlorite. No benefit over liquid chlorine. Just use liquid to Slam. You need a good test kit to get accurate information. The TF100 is the preferred kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

The first thing you need to do is order the TF100 or K2006 test kits. The pool store testing will lead you down the garden path. Their advice that as long as your CYA is under is 200 is very poor advice.
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely run in the other direction and rely on your OWN testing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

ok I get around 100 - 125 CYA so I am going to drain and refill and then shock so I do not have to reach 40 FC.

Is it a safe assumption to make that the CYA was probably that high because the previous owners did not monitor it and did not do partial drain and refills while running Trichlor tabs and dichlor granules.

I know I probably raised it some running the chlorinator (same as previous owners) but couldn't imagine in less than a month it went up from 50 to 100+?

I would imagine it would take several months to raise it up that high again?
    36,000 Gallon, 40x20 IG, Vinyl, Hayward S- 200 Sand Filter, 300,000 MasterTemp heater, 1hp Superpump, Polaris 9550 sport, TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Each 8oz trichlor puck raises CYA by 3 ppm. For every 1 ppm of FC added with trichlor 0.6 ppm of CYA is added. So, if your pool uses 3 ppm FC per day then pucks add 54 ppm CYA per month.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach