First opening

Aug 4, 2015
LAWRENCEBURG, IN
Hi guys. This is my first year opening the pool after I had the company that put the liner in new last year do it. Well, I have a very green swamp. Pool is at fill level now and here is what I got with my test:
PH 8.2
Alk 170
Calcium 100

What should be my first step of getting this cleaned up. My new pump arrives Monday, so I haven't started anything yet. I have 4 gallons of liquid shock (10%) and a bottle of algae control 60. Thanks for the help!

Tough without a pump to circulate. :( But when you get the pump hooked-up, the pH would be first as it's currently high. Do not use the algae control. I suspect you will need more bleach for a SLAM that could take a week or more. You should also test your CYA now just to get an idea. If it's zero or below 30, buy some granular stabilizer and have it ready, but don't add it yet. Once the water can circulate for about an hour, test everything once more to confirm and let us know.

Trouble priming you mean - filling-up the pump strainer basket? Make sure the basket is full of water first then secure lid before turning-on. Check pool water level and ensure the skimmer flap (weir) is not stuck shut. All valves are open.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If all you did was slip a new motor up against that existing wet-end, and the motor itself is cranking-up fine, then we have to review the basics:
- Motor, seal plate, etc firmly attached, no chance of incorrect configuration of impeller or diffuser or leak?
- Suction side air leaks all ruled-out?
- Distance from pool to pump? Some pumps allow up to 5 mins +/- to pull water a substantial length/grade
- No obstructions on the pressure side preventing the pump from pull/pushing water?
Those are some brainstorming ideas that popped into mind.

Yes, slipped on new pump to existing wet end. Everything firmly attached and assembled correctly. Distance from pool to pump roughly 12 feet. I gave up for the night. My buddy that opens/closes pools on the side is going to look at it tomorrow morning while I'm at work.
With basket full, it pumps what is in there, just not wanting to draw it from the pool

Good you have the pump running again. Just remember ... a SLAM is a process that typically takes days or a week or two to complete. You definitely want to pass the 3 SLAM criteria or it will just come right back. Let us know if you have any questions. Have a great weekend.

Took this pic this evening. I had to backwash a lot the last 3 days, but filter is holding steady now (only rising a couple PSI). I have vacuumed to waste once and stayed on top of brushing (even though my brush is somewhere on the bottom of the pool and can't see it yet :rolleyes:). I'm still losing some FC overnight. One question I do have is, can I cover the pool at night while slamming?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.