Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First opening

1. Back To Top    #1

First opening

Hi guys. This is my first year opening the pool after I had the company that put the liner in new last year do it. Well, I have a very green swamp. Pool is at fill level now and here is what I got with my test:
    PH 8.2
    Alk 170
    Calcium 100

What should be my first step of getting this cleaned up. My new pump arrives Monday, so I haven't started anything yet. I have 4 gallons of liquid shock (10%) and a bottle of algae control 60. Thanks for the help!
    21000 gal.
    Vinyl liner- new spring 2015
    Purex Triton Tagelus sand filter
    Hayward 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First opening

Tough without a pump to circulate. But when you get the pump hooked-up, the pH would be first as it's currently high. Do not use the algae control. I suspect you will need more bleach for a SLAM that could take a week or more. You should also test your CYA now just to get an idea. If it's zero or below 30, buy some granular stabilizer and have it ready, but don't add it yet. Once the water can circulate for about an hour, test everything once more to confirm and let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, my CYA was 0. I figured I was going to need more bleach 😔

4. Back To Top    #4

ha ha. Yes... more bleach. Once your pump is hooked-up, we may even have you do the 10-min ammonia drill just to be safe. Depends on your first readings after circulating. We should know for sure Monday evening.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help Texas, I'll post what I got once I get it up and running

6. Back To Top    #6

Picked up 10 more gallons of chlorine and some stabilizer to be armed and ready

7. Back To Top    #7

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, have my new motor hooked up and running but having trouble getting it to actually pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Trouble priming you mean - filling-up the pump strainer basket? Make sure the basket is full of water first then secure lid before turning-on. Check pool water level and ensure the skimmer flap (weir) is not stuck shut. All valves are open.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, trouble priming. All valves are open and basket is full. Water level is good, I even put s hose directly into the skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

If all you did was slip a new motor up against that existing wet-end, and the motor itself is cranking-up fine, then we have to review the basics:
    - Motor, seal plate, etc firmly attached, no chance of incorrect configuration of impeller or diffuser or leak?
    - Suction side air leaks all ruled-out?
    - Distance from pool to pump? Some pumps allow up to 5 mins +/- to pull water a substantial length/grade
    - No obstructions on the pressure side preventing the pump from pull/pushing water?
    Those are some brainstorming ideas that popped into mind.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, slipped on new pump to existing wet end. Everything firmly attached and assembled correctly. Distance from pool to pump roughly 12 feet. I gave up for the night. My buddy that opens/closes pools on the side is going to look at it tomorrow morning while I'm at work.
    With basket full, it pumps what is in there, just not wanting to draw it from the pool

13. Back To Top    #13

Pool is up and running. Slammed once up to 12 and cleared up A LOT over night. Had to wait a couple days (needed a new pump seal) and slammed again last night up to 10. Just checked chlorine again and was at 5. PH currently 7.2-7.4. TA at around 170.

14. Back To Top    #14

Good you have the pump running again. Just remember ... a SLAM is a process that typically takes days or a week or two to complete. You definitely want to pass the 3 SLAM criteria or it will just come right back. Let us know if you have any questions. Have a great weekend.

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm adding stabilizer at the same time, is that practical? I checked it today after adding maybe 1.5 pounds and it was still close to zero

16. Back To Top    #16

Its fine. Takes 5-7 days to register so save your reagents.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

17. Back To Top    #17

👍🏻 thanks!

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok, here are some pics of my progress. Just fighting the cloudiness now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21000 gal.
    Hayward 1hp pump

19. Back To Top    #19

Lots of progress!

20. Back To Top    #20

Took this pic this evening. I had to backwash a lot the last 3 days, but filter is holding steady now (only rising a couple PSI). I have vacuumed to waste once and stayed on top of brushing (even though my brush is somewhere on the bottom of the pool and can't see it yet ). I'm still losing some FC overnight. One question I do have is, can I cover the pool at night while slamming?

21000 gal.
    Hayward 1hp pump

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast