Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium scale? Build up for approximately 8 years?

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium scale? Build up for approximately 8 years?

Our new adopted pool in vallarta was built approximately 10 years ago so I assume the mineral build up on the tiles above the water line are somewhere in the 8 year and going time frame. I've tried some recommended solutions such as 300 grit sand paper, muriatic acid but have not been able to make a big dent (sandpaper somewhat).
    Any suggestions would be most welcome!
    20160103_180306.jpg
    Pool 3800 gaĺlon glass tiled concrete approximately 10 years old/ Puerto Vallarta
    Hayward sand filter S166t.
    Pool Pump Silver10/1115 1hp
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp
    Hard Municipal Water tf-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium scale? Build up for approximately 8 years?

Try searching this site for "magic eraser". I don't know whether that will help, but that's one thing to read about while you wait for an answer from somebody who have dealt with this sort of problem.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

3. Back To Top    #3

Pumice stone and elbow grease will remove the water line scale if acid won't. It sounds awful -- like fingernails on a chalkboard -- but surprisingly it doesn't scratch tiles. The pumice is real soft, though, and wears down fast and leaves heaps of pumice dust on the floor of the pool for you to vacuum up later.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks I have heard of using pumice stone before but found this fellows videos, in particular this one suggesting of all the methods he's tried (including pumice) ..wet/dry 220 sandpaper is the best.
    Removing Calcium Build-Up From Your Pool Tile Line - The Easy Way - YouTube
    I was just wondering if anything else out there I'm missing.
    Pool 3800 gaĺlon glass tiled concrete approximately 10 years old/ Puerto Vallarta
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp

5. Back To Top    #5

Wet/dry sand paper is fine too. To avoid it in the future maintain your CSI slightly negative, -0.1 to -0.3. I had issues with scale on the waterline tile a couple of years ago and it hasn't been back since. Enter all your numbers in Poolmath and it will give you a CSI score. Tweak PH, TA and CH to adjust it. If your PH tends to rise then keep your TA lower (60-80) to help slow the rise.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    And here, Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Excellent thanks I have tf100 on way. And will be bringing down to pv in July and will post all test numbers as I have no idea what's going on other then basic 2 way test.
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp