Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much should autofill cost?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much should autofill cost?

About how much should it cost to add an autofill system as an option on a vinyl pool? I've seen some different numbers so I'm just curious if what I've been quoted is fair. Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much should autofill cost?

Great question, I am thinking it myself but my PB is against it saying when they break it can be expensive, especially when you are on vacation when it happens. What do you think?

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the k1100 leveler. It was 900 or 1100 and they connected it to my hose bib on the outside of my house. One builder I was considering was not willing to connect it to the hose bib and wanted me to arrange that. If my autofill is on I can hear the water running through it when I am inside the house. That is how I knew it was broken when they installed it because I heard the water running constantly. I like the way mine works. When the water is below the threshold (which you can set) the water fills the pool for an hour ( that time can be changed) and then automatically shuts off for 24 hours. If the water is below the threshold 24 hours later it goes on for another hour. Mine can also be turned on manually, which means it will fill until I turn it off.

I tend not to keep my autofill on and just turn it on when the water level is low.

I suggest you get an overflow drain with your autofill so that the pool can never overflow

I believe the Levelor is more expensive than non electronic autofills.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

4. Back To Top    #4

I built my pool in late 2014. The autofill option was about $300. When I go on vacation, I simply shut off the valve that feeds the autofill.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

There is the cost of the autofill and installing it. Then there is the cost of running water to it. We had to run water like 250' to the autofill.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank ya'll for your feedback. We are still debating if we want one or not but so far the price seems in line with what everyone is saying. I worry we wouldn't notice a leak or it would break as I have heard good and bad things about them. Still on the fence. Any additional feedback or tips are appreciated. Thanks again!

7. Back To Top    #7

I paid $600 to have one added to my gunite pool right when I was getting it resurfaced. So they had to drill through the concert structure. I had a water line already available.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is running some everyday just due to high evaporation rates.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I love having the autofill. My neighbor is constantly having to put a hose into his pool, which he forgets to turn off every once in a while. I do the same thing Jay does, simply turn off the valve if I am leaving for a few days. There is more of a chance of forgetting your hose on then the autofill breaking on you. I have the mechanical kind, and from what i can tell it works just like a toilet. There is just not a lot that can go wrong with it, and I think the design has been around forever. I would consider it a must have, as long as it does not cost thousands to install.
    Rectangular pool 28x16 and spa 8x7, 17,000 gallons, IG, Tropics Blue Mini-Pebble, Jandy 60 DE filter, saltwater cell, Jandy VS pump, 1.5 hp Jandy spa pump, 400k heater, 5' Sheer Descent with 1 hp Jandy pump, Jandy color LED lights. Build Thread

9. Back To Top    #9

I have an auto fill, but it's just a pipe run from the hose bib underground into the pool. So if I need to add water to the pool all I do is turn on the hose bib and hope I don't forget! I will set my timer on my phone as a reminder to turn it off.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    I have an auto fill, but it's just a pipe run from the hose bib underground into the pool. So if I need to add water to the pool all I do is turn on the hose bib and hope I don't forget! I will set my timer on my phone as a reminder to turn it off.
    That is not an AUTO fill, that is just a fill line I have one of those too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

This is my auto fill, works by toilet type float ball, it takes some playing with it to get it adjusted. It has an 1 1/12" equalizer line between the fill box and the pool and it is valued. I got a small screen type kitchen strainer and cut off the handle and place it on top of the equalizer pipe so any debris in fill box doesn't get into the pool and it has an overflow to the rice field if a heavy rain fills it up. It works great once properly adjustedimage.jpgimage.jpg
    8M x 4M X 2M no slope IG CONCRETE w/ceramic glass tile
    17,000 Gal EMAUX SWG JAZZI FILTER W/1-3 mm glass media, Jazzi Multi-port valve with
    T-750 filter w/ glass media
    1 main drain sump -3 returns - 1 skimmer
    Kokido digital salinity tester, Kokida drops for CL Hanna digital PH meter, Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

Jblizzle, you are right I couldn't think what it was called. Thanks!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

13. Back To Top    #13

I wouldn't have another pool without an autofill, overflow line and SWG. All are mandatory for a troublefree pool. Adding water to your pool is either a chore that must be attended to a couple of times a week or it is a non-issue because you have an autofill. We had a leak a couple of years ago and our water bill went up about 50 or 100 bucks. Fixed the leak (crack in plaster) and no trouble since. I have never had to out a hose in the pool, remember to turn off the water or drain water before after or during a rain storm. I like it like that.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

I haven't had to add any water to my pool yet. But, Mother Nature did do that a couple of weeks ago.
    Marla

15. Back To Top    #15

Not having an autofill on your pool is like not having an automatic ice maker and you have to keep filling-up plastic trays and emptying them.

If you turn yourself into being your autofill, set your phone alarm for 15 min's...I do this whenever I leave the gas grill on to burn off the "XX" still on the grill. no mater how many times you do remember to set you cell ph alarm, there are going to be times when you do not and you end-up pouring money down the drain. I would offer that the money you lose on forgetting to turn-off the hose will far exceed, if it ever happens, if your autofill breaks...

Ck the box yes for autofill
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill