Is it possible to 6.0 FC at opening?

GVracer

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 20, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
Just took off the winter cover to nice clear water :eek: Added water, have been running the filter for about 3 hours and here are my numbers:

FC: 6
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
T/A: 190
CH: 170
CYA: 30
Temp: 55F

Is it possible to have that much FC since closing in October? I don't know what the FC was at closing because I didn't have my TF100. I do now :-D I need to lower my T/A. Should I do that and add CYA first?

Thank you for your help. TFP is the best!
Mike

JasonLion said:
You do know that you don't need to lower your TA unless you tend to have problems with the PH rising.

Thank you. I didn't know that about the TA. If I was wanting to lower the TA could I just aerate without adding acid since the pH is a little low already?

I will work on bringing the CYA up.

Thanks,
Mike

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yup. I had a 3.5 residual, and I closed in September. :wink:

Isn't opening to clear water and NOT having to shock...the BEST! :goodjob: :mrgreen:

WOW. I'll say. We set this pool up for the first time last summer, so this was the first time I had ever tried closing a pool for the winter. Can you say "Beginners Luck" :shock:

I would leave the PH alone and let it come up in it's own time. PH of 7.2 and higher are good to swim. When the PH gets up to 7.8, lower it back down to 7.2 again. If you keep doing that, over time your TA level will come down. Keep it simple, don't bother with things you don't need to bother with.

If the PH starts rising quickly enough that it is annoying, then you can do the whole lowering TA routine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.