New pool owner, first post, just getting started

joninnj

Bronze Supporter
Apr 29, 2016
Lawrenceville, NJ
Hello all! Just purchased house with an IG vinyl liner pool. I will eventually get my signature put together as recommended (some of the stuff I just don't know yet - opening in a week), but a few key points: vinyl liner 40x20 IG pool in NJ.

As I mentioned, am having the pool company that has previously maintained this pool open it for me this Friday. After finding this site, I am absolutely going to try the TFP method and have already purchased a TF-100 test kit but have NOT tested the water yet. I started conducting an inventory of the chemicals the previous owner left in the garage. A few questions on each one (given that I will be using TFP):
1. Two big buckets of calcium hypochlorite (one is Leslie's Power Powder Pro, other the HTH Granular). While I plan on using liquid chlorine, any reason I shouldn't just use this stuff while I have it? Any downsides? HOW do I use this to chlorinate?
2. Big bucket of Leslie's Alkalinity Up. Presuming this is to increase total alkalinity. Any reason I shouldn't use this in lieu of baking soda while I have it?
3. Big bucket of Leslie's Soda Ash. Presuming this is to increase pH. Any reason I shouldn't use this in lieu of Borax while I have it?
4. Big bucket of Leslie's Hardness Plus. What is this for?

Finally, for what I do not need, any tips on how I get rid of it? Our county has hazardous materials disposal days, but they do not explicitly include or exclude pool chemicals. Any general tips?

I will be back with more info as pool is opened, I learn more, etc. Thanks!!!

Re: New pool owner,, first post, just getting started

Welcome to TFP

First things first. To answer those questions correctly would require your water test results. All those chemicals "could" be just fine to use. Before answering if the calcium hypochlorite, you would want to know your CH.

Can you use that TF-100 and post up a full set of results?

Glad you found the site. Having a good test kit was the right fist step.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: No need to toss that stuff just yet. If it's been in a somewhat controlled environment, it should be fine. You may be able to use those products later depending upon your TF-100 results. Keep us posted and congrats on your new pool.

OK, here are the first test results!
pH 6.8
FC 0
CC 0.5
TC 0.5
CH 225
TA 90
CYA >100

Wow, CYA is high! And this after a winter under a mesh cover and after a week of near-constant rain! Water level is already pretty high.

Again, opening is this Friday, and I have NO IDEA how to do anything with draining it, pumps, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Another question on the CYA: you really keep going until you cannot see that black dot at all, right?

Welcome to the forum!

It would help us if you add all your pool details -pump, type of pool, volume of pool- see the examples above. Click Settings top right and then on the left hand side 'Add/edit signature'

Ok, so we need to find out exactly how high your CYA is, can you do the following

take 1 quart pool water and 1 quart tap water and mix together, use this for your CYA test

example, say you get 70 CYA multiply 70 by 2 = 140 CYA

I take it the pool is not opened yet or did they open it and get it running yesterday?

So that black dot disappeared really fast huh? If the dot never really disappeared, then your CYA is low. Just want to make sure. :)
Hard to say what's fast or slow, but it definitely disappeared before reaching the 100 line. So high!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum!

It would help us if you add all your pool details -pump, type of pool, volume of pool- see the examples above. Click Settings top right and then on the left hand side 'Add/edit signature'
Just added a signature, mostly with the information from the inspection (hasn't been opened yet). Signature not appearing, though. Maybe because it's an old thread? But here is what I know so far (unsure of volume):
40x20 IG vinyl * Pentair FNS Plus DE filter * Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump * RayPak RP2100 natural gas heater * TF-100 test kit

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so we need to find out exactly how high your CYA is, can you do the following

take 1 quart pool water and 1 quart tap water and mix together, use this for your CYA test

example, say you get 70 CYA multiply 70 by 2 = 140 CYA

I take it the pool is not opened yet or did they open it and get it running yesterday?
Great idea. Will try this tomorrow!

- - - Updated - - -

Correct. Pool not yet opened. Just getting a head start on things! Opening on Friday (6 days from today).

Check the Show Sig box lower left under the text box. Once you do it will stay checked.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

You are off to a great start! Finding TFP and ordering a good test kit AND posting numbers.

We will help you get it all figured out. Next time you get a chance take some pics of your equipment and where it is. That will help us see what you have to deal with when you go to drain your pool.

Do you have a main drain (bottom of the deep end)?

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

OK, I tried this. Wasn't 100% sure when the dot disappeared, but let's go with 60 when testing 1:1 diluted pool water, do we'll call the CYA 120. So here are my first results with the new CYA test:
pH 6.8
FC 0
CC 0.5
TC 0.5
CH 225
TA 90
CYA 120

Pool being opened in 5 days. CYA levels this high after a NJ winter under a mesh cover with lots of rain for the past 10 days. Pool info should be in my signature now (what I know so far, main thing missing is volume). Original question is whether the chemicals left in the garage by the previous owner (see original post) are usable for me (since I have them anyway) before I go to the TFP method.

Thanks for the bump. Questions in post 11 still unanswered. Test readings in that post. Pool information in signature. Pool is being opened 3 days (Friday).

1. Most immediate question is whether I can use the buckets of calcium hypochlorite (powder) to chlorinate the pool (initially and ongoing until I run out), especially with the high CYA. Is it stable (don't know how old it is)? Any cautions?

2. Next questions is whether there're any downsides to use
Leslie's Alkalinity Up for TA an Leslie's Soda Ash for pH. And what is the Leslie's Hardness Plus for?

3. Finally, how to I safely and legally dispose of the chemicals I do not need?

Thanks!

You can use it, but it will drive CH up. My recommendation is to not let it get over 350.

Hardness plus is also to raise CH.

You don't need to raise your TA.

You can use the soda ash to raise pH.

You can use those chemicals, but you need to know what they do to your chemistry. The goal here is to save money by not buying stuff from a pool store, but if you have it, you might as well use it. I'll repeat, you just need to know what those chemicals are for and what they do to your chemistry.

I would do a water replacement to lower CYA. 120 is too high and you'll spend a fortune on chlorine. The higher the CYA, the more chlorine you need to sanitize the pool. You could replace half the water and get the CYA down to 60 which would be doable.

120 is just to high, could it be done, maybe, it would cost a fortune in bleach...

I would recommend half water replacement, make sure you know your ground water level, if it has been raining we do not want your pool popping out of the ground...

Water replacement will usually lower CH, unless your fill water has very high CH.

The only time CH might matter with a vinyl pool is if you have a heater which has specific CH requirements.

Pool opened today! Pump and Polaris 360 running.

Quick question/confirmation: calcium hypochlorite does NOT increase CYA, right?

Will run all tests tomorrow after pump running 24 hours...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.