Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae problem

Yesterday we had algae show up. We have a 14,800 gal pool with Pebbletec and a basic test kit. I just ordered the recommended test kit last night. All we have right now is a basic test kit. I checked the chlorine level yesterday and it was essentially zero. The test water had a slight yellow tinge to it. The alkalinity was 80 ppm and the pH was 7.6.

I back washed the DE filter yesterday and added 1 lb of granular "shock" to the pool at the recommendation of the local pool place until I could bring a sample in, brushed the pool, added more chlorine tablets to the in line chlorinator, and left the pump running continuously. I also added 5 caps of phosfree. Then I started researching and came across TFP.

I took a water sample in this morning to the pool place and these are the results:
    FC .13 ppm
    TC 1.95ppm
    CC 1.82 ppm
    pH 7.5
    hardness 211 ppm
    alkalinity 59 ppm
    CYA 65 ppm
    copper 0 ppm
    iron 0 ppm

i added 4 lbs of baking soda (I use that instead of alkalinity up) when I got back from the pool store at their recommendation. I am trying to figure out how much 6% bleach to add. I looked it up in how to slam the pool and saw I need to take it up to 25 ppm. I don't have a test kit that can test that high and I am nervous about taking it up that high. Right now the pool water is clear and there is a small amount of brownish algae on the flat parts of the pool. The pool looks a lot better today than yesterday but I know the algae isn't killed.

I would love love any help you all can provide.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae problem

Welcome to the forum. STOP adding anything containing CYA-------pucks, dichlor and such.

I'd add enough bleach to take your FC to 12 or 14-------ASSUME you'll lose 3 ppm FC each day and add that much bleach back to it daily (about a gallon) until your kit arrives.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response. I used the pool calculator and added 363 gal of 6% bleach. I will stop using the pucks and anything else other than bleach. We have a lot of trees and our pool doesn't get a lot of direct sun light. It is only full sun for about 45 minutes. Even with limited sun is it still a good assumption we loose 3 ppm of FC per day? Also, long term if you just use bleach and no pucks, how do you manage chlorine levels if you go out of town for 5-7 days?
    14.8k gallon
    Pentair FNS PL 60 DE filter
    IG Pebbletec
    Hayward 1.85 THP / PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Raise the Fc close to SLAM level and use a puck floater until you get back. Be nice to have a friend take a peek at once or twice to clear skimmers and such too. Close to 3 is a good approximation for Dallas. You still won't be anywhere near full SLAM level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Great. Thanks again for the help.
    14.8k gallon
    Pentair FNS PL 60 DE filter
    IG Pebbletec
    Hayward 1.85 THP / PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Just be careful with the floaters. You are right at the CYA level you want to be (maybe a little over, assuming the $tore test was even close) and each puck is going to only add to the issue.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir