Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Something on the bottom of my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Something on the bottom of my pool

I am having a problem with this brownish / grey looking dusty substance on the bottom of my pool. I vacuum to waste almost daily and by the next morning the same stuff is there like I never vacuumed it up. Here is a pic of what it looks like:

something in the pool.jpg

Anyone with any suggestions on what it might be and how to eliminate it.

Thanks all...
    Pool: 24 x 52 above ground, Filter: 26 inch diameter Waterway Carefree sand filter, 2 HP / 2 SP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Something on the bottom of my pool

could you post some numbers from you test kit, how long have you had that floater in the pool? It is adding CYA all the time..

I looks like dead algae, we may be able to tell what is going on once you have numbers
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are test kit numbers from yesterday: FC - .8; CC - .8; pH - 7.0; TA - 110 ppm; CH - 150 ppm; CYA - 70 ppm
    Pool: 24 x 52 above ground, Filter: 26 inch diameter Waterway Carefree sand filter, 2 HP / 2 SP pump

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

So, I would definitely say that is algae you have there, Your FC should be 8 and above 5 at all times and you are at 0.8

Your water looks good so a SLAM should not take long at all.

Using liquid chlorine/bleach bring your FC to 28 and keep it there until you have passed the OCLT below in my signature

You need to take the floater out as it is raising your CYA and only use liquid chlorine..

You can empty about 1/2 of your pool water to drop your CYA down, we recommend about 30 CYA and half of your water will get you close to 30..

If you do decide to empty half your water (CYA 30) your SLAM FC is much lower at 12FC and you will keep it at 4FC daily

I hope this helps, everything is in my signature below
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **