How long should a pool heater last?

Rondanick

Apr 20, 2016
Mount Juliet, TN
I have a Hayward H300 heater on my saltwater pool with a Hayward Pro series high rate sand filter. it was installed in 2006 and sat unused for four years. The pool store says I should replace it because I risk turning it on and rust coming out into my new water. (I am replacing the liner and refilling the pool to open it up) I was thinking because it sat unused it would be considered more like a six year old heater. They say because it sat so long that isn't good. Anyone have an opinion? We won't use it often. Should we just get rid of it?

Also is anyone familiar with this heater? Is it a good one? How long should they last?

Thanks in advance.

I have a Hayward H300 heater on my saltwater pool with a Hayward Pro series high rate sand filter. it was installed in 2006 and sat unused for four years. The pool store says I should replace it because I risk turning it on and rust coming out into my new water. (I am replacing the liner and refilling the pool to open it up) I was thinking because it sat unused it would be considered more like a six year old heater. They say because it sat so long that isn't good. Anyone have an opinion? We won't use it often. Should we just get rid of it?

Also is anyone familiar with this heater? Is it a good one? How long should they last?

Thanks in advance.
The heat exchanger isn't iron. Where's it going to rust? The manual says "The heat exchanger in your Hayward pool heater is made from the highest quality of copper and nickel (Cupronickel) materials"

Has it been plumbed with a bypass? Otherwise, water has been flowing through it the whole time even if it hasn't been fired up. Have you seen any leaks or discoloration that might indicate metals in the water?

I don't know specifics about heater longevity, but I do know I don't trust pool store salesmen.

Thanks, it does not have a bypass but the pool was winterised 4 years ago and then sat unused. That's why we are replacing the liner and water.

Well, you could disconnect it temporarily and have a service company come and look at it. If it's in an accessible location, they can remove the covers and inspect the manifold, bulk head connections and heat exchanger to look for signs of corrosion. It may be worth it than to buy a new heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.