Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash on 1/2 Speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash on 1/2 Speed

I have a variable speed pump and am wondering if it's ok or effective to backwash at half speed? My line drains into an area of my yard that gets all disrupted when I do it at high speed. Thx.
    22,000 gallon IG plaster pool, raised spa w/spillover, variable speed EcoStar pump, natural gas heater, 60 SF DE filter, SWG (all Hayward), AquaLogic automated controller, Kreepy Krawly, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwash on 1/2 Speed

You have a very large pump so there is a very good chance that half speed would be a sufficient flow rate to backwash the sand effectively.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's actually DE not sand, so would that make it more likely to be okay?
    22,000 gallon IG plaster pool, raised spa w/spillover, variable speed EcoStar pump, natural gas heater, 60 SF DE filter, SWG (all Hayward), AquaLogic automated controller, Kreepy Krawly, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry I can't see signatures on Tapatalk. It still might be fine. Although I've kind of lost faith in the ability of De filters to be back washed and really they should be broken down.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd have to agree jblizzle. I backwash for a brief period of time, maybe thirty seconds, to loosen the obvious stuff. Then I open my filter and blast the screens with a spray nozzle and reassemble and then backwash again to finish. I suppose it helps that my filter has an internal backwash that drains out the bottom. If yours does too, then low speed should be plenty of flow.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!