Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leaking drain plug

1. Back To Top    #1

leaking drain plug

I have a hayward sp0714t filter. Just noticed the drain plug is leaking- its cracked on the side. Is there any kind of glue that will help? How do I go about repair? Is there a way to keep all the sand from running out with a gush of water when I take the plug off?
    docelect
    30k gallons in-ground vinyl
    1.5 hp pump 300 lb sand filter
    Polaris cleaner, T15 Hayward SWG
    Jackson, Mississippi

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: leaking drain plug

correction. sp0714t is the valve. Filter is s244t
    docelect
    Jackson, Mississippi

3. Back To Top    #3

Kill the power to the pump so the timer doesn't turn it on while you're still fussing with things.

Turn the multiport to Rinse and see if that will let some air creep in and the water in the filter to drain back out through the pump. If it doesn't, then set it back to filter and just loosen the drain plug so the drip turns to a trickle and then go do something else for an hour or two. Then when you do remove the drain plug, you won't lose but a handful of sand.

If that plug is standard pipe threads, your nearest hardware store should have something that fits. I wouldn't even bother trying to glue things.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the tips. So much better than trying to take things apart. What I called a plug is actually a threaded cap, so it sounds like what you advised should work. Thanks again.
    docelect
    Jackson, Mississippi