Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster pitting

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster pitting

I'm having some pitting problems with my plaster, and the pits are gathering alge.
    Trying to figure out why it's pitting like this. Getting worse.

The pool was replastered 5 years ago.

My PH always runs high and I use acid every few days to bring it down.

CH is 200
    TA is 80
    PH is 7.6 today
    Cya 35
    FH 3
    Water temp 77f

Been using bleach in pool for 5 years and water always looks good but I do get these algae spots in the pits.

Any ideas?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Plaster pitting

The pitting is called etching and results from having low CH causing calcium to dissolve from the plaster into the water. To prevent etching you need to manage your CSI between -0.3 and +0.3. This is done by entering all of your test results in Poolmath and it will calculate your CSI. Adjust CH, TA and PH to get the CSI into range. Your CH needs to be a minimum of 250, 350 if you have saltwater.

More here, Pool School - Recommended Levels
    And here, Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

Add your location (city and ST) to your profile so it shows up over there <----, climate is important when we are helping you with your pool. Also, add your pool info to your sig so we know what type of pool equipment we are helping you with, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach