Opening bright green pool question.

Momto5

Apr 6, 2015
Enid OK
Hi Guys,
Opening pool yesterday color lime green. I added 4 jugs 121 oz 8.25 bleach. Color turned clearish cloudy after a couple of hours. I also vaccumed the bottom blindly, not much big stuff but lots of gunk. Hooked up filter and got it running while adding some water. Then I tested the cloudy but clearer(I can see a hazy bottom) water.

CL-8
TA-200
Cya- 50-60 (after 3 readings it is between the two numbers)
PH- 8.2 or a tad higher
salt 2840
water temp- 72
So we added approx. 363 oz bleach last night kept filter running and retested this morning

CL-17
cc- 1.5
TA- 200
PH- 8.2
water temp 68
so I added 151 oz approx bleach according to pool math

So here lies the questions... Plugging in my numbers I see I need to add 46oz MA 39oz CYA(stab.)

Should I add a little less CYA and retest in a week to see where I stand??

Should I add more salt with our salt water generator saying we need 2500-3500 with 3000 be ideal.
We are at 2840 on the salt test strips from the TF100 kit people.

Thanks for your help
Lisa

intex 26ft 14667gal... intex sand filter... intex salt water generator(which is not hooked up yet)
in North Central OK with 2 big trees Sycamore and Pecan nearby

Definitely need to add MA acid asap, it is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times with 7.6 to 7.8 being ideal. Adding a little less CYA is fine. I wouldn't add any CYA until your water is clear though. And adding a bag of salt is also fine.

Agreed - acid ASAP to get the pH down to 7.2

I would not add CYA until the pool is sparkling clear. To get there you need to read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

Dont stop until-

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) (ie OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

I wouldn't bother with the salt or even turning on the SWCG until the pool is clear. It only adds minimal chlorine during the SLAM and people tend to use it as a mental crutch - thinking, oh, I don't need to test & add more chlorine - the SWG is running....

SLAM the pool.....

I agree, continue the SLAM, drop the PH by adding the MA from your first test but after this only check FC and CC as your PH will be off when fc is above 10...

When you are done with the SLAM then add your CYA, use 60 as your start and add to 70

After the SLAM and your FC drops below 10 do all yours tests again :)

Thanks all, I am in the SLAM process now checking CL every 2 hours and adding a little bleach 8.25 as pool math indicates. My dear hubby is at the home and ranch store getting MA as I type. Question do I just add the amount of MA once until the SLAM is over because I can't check PH?
Thanks so much

Sorry you didn't receive an answer before now, but yes you just add it once and recheck to make sure your PH is at 7.2 and SLAM away. How is it going?

Thanks for asking....well, 2 nights ago I passed the oclt but pool was still cloudy-ish. Yesterday I had to be out of town so since I had checked my levels early and was still at SLAM level(FC24 CC 0) I had one of my boys add some bleach(1/3 of a bottle at noon). So when I got home last night I was at FC 17 CC CC.5....ugh where did my FC go?? It was really sunny and air temp mid 80's. The pool looked good though, more clear just a little cloudy(greyish) but I could see the whole bottom!!! So we quickly added bleach(walmart 8.25) to get the level back up to 24. So at bedtime I checked the level again it was FC 26.5(53 drops) and the CC .5. So this morning I was hopeful...and then it went south. First test at 6:30 am and FC 24(48 drops) and CC .5. I felt awful..but when I started looking at the pool I could see the entire bottom all the way across, that is new and I could see a few dark patches. So I got my net and went after the dark patches and pulled out pecan hulls off the wonderful(not) pecan tree. I kept at it until I saw no more dark patches. No mind you I have been vacuuming and brushing several times a day. And I have sucked out some of those hulls, but apparently they are almost too big for the vacuum tube. Just checked the pool again and had to backwash filter, but this is the first time in a day and a half. So progress is being made!!! So if you have read this far in the saga...thank you ...and I have a question or three. Could the pecan hulls have been eating my CL?? How much of a drop on a bright sunshiny day is too much?? Do I keep at SLAM level if I pass the OCLT if the water is still not crystal clear??

Thanks so much for all your help!!!

Sorry you didn't receive an answer before now, but yes you just add it once and recheck to make sure your PH is at 7.2 and SLAM away. How is it going?

Since you are in the process of doing a SLAM you can add the amount of acid your original test indicated but you'll need to wait to test again until the FC drops below 10ppm. Retesting during the SLAM when the FC is above 10 will result with a false reading and it's just safer to wait until you are again below 10 FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much all....just can't wait till it is crystal clear like last summer! Just to give you your laugh for the day... all of this is due to us "newbies" taking off the winter cover. Can you say... epic fail.... over half of the gunk on top wound up in the pool!!! YUK it was so nasty and I was covered in it. Soooo this year new game plan, not sure what it is yet, but definitely NOT the cover we used last fall!

I will share with you my trick, I put exercise balls (like the ones people do crunches on) under the cover so it tents up. Then I use a leaf blower to blow sticks and whatever off before taking off the off. Works really well and they last year after year.

OK Ya'll, I am so disappointed this morning. The pool looks clear not sparkly but definitely not cloudy. There are still some patches of stuff(looks like a combo of sand, brown stuff and tree bits) on bottom Not a lot just a few patches. I keep vacuuming with my pool blaster but it is not getting it all. I am going to suit up and try with the vacuum that fits my filter and vacuum to waste to see if that will get the last little bit.

Now on to the reason I am sad...I lost 5 of CL over night. Before bed FC 30(used the new walmart 10 cl and I guess I over shot) CC 0 this morning FC 25 CC 0

Is the last bit of stuff on the bottom eating my chlorine or do I still have algae after a week at SLAM??? I have been pretty consistent at keeping it at 24. It has dropped 2 times when i went longer on checking in the afternoon, both times it dropped to FC 17

As I stated in a previous post we have been brushing at least 2 times a day and vacuuming 2 times a day.

The pool has gotten better each day, but like I said it is what i would call clear this morning but not sparkly.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, I am just frustrated. Thanks so much.

It's understandable to be frustrated but you need patience and persistence at this point. Stick with the SLAM and it will work. The best way to rationalize a SLAM taking a long time is that pools don't turn into lime green monsters overnight so it takes time to get them back as well. Crack open a can of POP (Pool Owner Patience) and perhaps your favorite adult beverage and keep at it! You're doing great so far.

if anything is still in the bottom it can and will use fc as it is killing whatever it is.. you will get there, just keep at it :)

It's understandable to be frustrated but you need patience and persistence at this point. Stick with the SLAM and it will work. The best way to rationalize a SLAM taking a long time is that pools don't turn into lime green monsters overnight so it takes time to get them back as well. Crack open a can of POP (Pool Owner Patience) and perhaps your favorite adult beverage and keep at it! You're doing great so far.

Thanks it just seems like it is taking forever! And my choice would be a tall glass of unsweet tea, a bag of peanut m&ms and a box of cheez-its. If this pool doesn't clear up quick, I am going to need to join weight watchers!!!haha

OK Ya'll, I am so disappointed this morning. The pool looks clear not sparkly but definitely not cloudy. There are still some patches of stuff(looks like a combo of sand, brown stuff and tree bits) on bottom Not a lot just a few patches. I keep vacuuming with my pool blaster but it is not getting it all. I am going to suit up and try with the vacuum that fits my filter and vacuum to waste to see if that will get the last little bit.

Now on to the reason I am sad...I lost 5 of CL over night. Before bed FC 30(used the new walmart 10 cl and I guess I over shot) CC 0 this morning FC 25 CC 0

Is the last bit of stuff on the bottom eating my chlorine or do I still have algae after a week at SLAM??? I have been pretty consistent at keeping it at 24. It has dropped 2 times when i went longer on checking in the afternoon, both times it dropped to FC 17

As I stated in a previous post we have been brushing at least 2 times a day and vacuuming 2 times a day.

The pool has gotten better each day, but like I said it is what i would call clear this morning but not sparkly.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, I am just frustrated. Thanks so much.

Any possibility there is algae hiding in a ladder/steps/light? They are notoriously insidious hiding places for algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.