Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Northstar pump replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Northstar pump replacement

I think my old Hayward 1.5hp Northstar pump has bit the dust. The motor is fine (we replaced that 2 years ago), but it is barely sucking water. I think the impeller may be broken based on the fact I fished a part of it out. So, at this point I am thinking of replacing the whole thing. I found a couple sites online that still sell the pump for like $360.

So here's my dilemma. Do I replace like for like knowing that all my ins/outs will line up and I'll be stuck with the Northstar pump (which is a pain to work on I hear)? Do I replace with a newer/better pump system? And if so, does anyone know which Hayward pump would be considered a drop-in to the Northstar?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Northstar pump replacement

I am not sure about a direct replacement pump but it should be pretty easy to replace any parts that are broken. There are only a couple other pieces (impeller, diffuser and impeller ring) and more than likely it is the impeller ring that broke up and that is very cheap and easy to replace. But you will need to take apart the wet end to make sure. The OEM impeller rings are usually a dark grey in color. What was the color of the piece you pulled out?

Hayward SPX3021R Impeller Ring Part for Tristar Northstar Super II Pool Pump | eBay
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Northstar pump replacement

Thanks. Sometimes I regret owning a pool. I guess I could try to take it apart and see what all needs replacement.

The part I pulled out was white. It looked like a piece of the ring from that link.
    2006 12K IG pool - Hayward Swimclear C4025 - Hayward 1.5HP Northstar Pump - SmartPure Oxidizer