pool opening beginner question

Aug 30, 2015
Tulsa, ok
First time opening pool. 18ft above ground in Oklahoma. I pulled the cover off and the pool looked perfect. My friend who has a pool told me to pour in two gallons of shock and let it run. Now the water is all cloudy and I cannot see the bottom. Took the water to two different leslies pools and had it tested. One said its fine and it just has to much chlorine and to leave it alone. The other said I have to add Ash, Green to clean, superchlorinate 3 different times.
The test results were
FAC 10
TAC 10
CH 140
CYA 30
TA 90
pH 7.6
Copper 0
Iron 0
TDS 400
Pho 100
What should i do?

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something. My second is to ignore your friend. While I'm sure he is well intentioned, blindly adding more chlorine is a bad thing.

I will tell you, it will take a little time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with reading these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!

I also forgot to say that when they tested your chlorine they probably used a DPD test which has an upper limit of 10ppm. The 10 they list is the highest this test goes, so it may be much higher. The test kit we recommend has a FAS/DPD chlorine test which will test up to 50ppm.

Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• The size of your pool in gallons

• If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post ans is helpful for determining the advice we give. As an example your CH of 140 is really good if you have a vinyl liner pool, but way too low if your pool is gunite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.