Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Heat pump - with filter running

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Heat pump - with filter running

I clearly know that the filter must be running for the pool heater to be used. However, my confusion comes at the idea of convienience. My filter has an automatic on and off switch so I can set it for 10 hours and be done with it. But at the same time I am under the impression that an electric Heath pump needs to be on all the time for efficiency.

Also, my heat pump only has on and standby modes. Does anyone have experience with this type of heater? Do I run it for 10 hours a day only when the filter is running and then go out and manually turn it off along with the filter (seems obnoxious) or will the system automatically turn off when it detects the filter stop. I'm not seeing this clearly explained in the owners manual. All I'm seeing is the statement to have the both on at the same time.

Any thoughts?

john
    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Heat pump - with filter running

Heat pumps aren't common where I live, so I don't know about running 24/7. However the manual does say
    Water Pressure Switch

Adequate water flow through the heat pump causes the Water Pressure Switch contacts to close. Insufficient
    water pressure will allow these contacts to open, and turn the heat pump off. The display will read “PS” if the
    water pressure is not sufficient.
    It will shut off if the pump stops for any reason.

And maybe this will get it seen by someone who does know the answers
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have noticed the PS when the filter is dirty or when I am backwashing. So that's good. Maybe it will be the key to only heating while filtering. Thanks!
    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to clarify, when you say "filter must be running", you mean the pump, correct?

Your heat pump doesn't need to be on all the time for efficiency, but it is most efficient if running during the hottest time of the day. It only needs to be on long enough to get your water to the desired temperature. The heat pump will have a pressure sensor that will automatically shut off the heater when the water pressure drops below a certain point. That can mean when the pump is off or flow is reduced below the threshold (clogged filter or low pump speed).

Your heat pump should shut off when flow is low or the temp hits the requested amount. Either one of those conditions will put it in standby mode.

Hope that helps.
    20k Gunite/Fiberglass
    Hayward SP2302VSP
    Pentair LA-MS05 BoostRite
    Pentair Quad D.E. 100 sq ft

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Just to clarify, when you say "filter must be running", you mean the pump, correct?

Your heat pump doesn't need to be on all the time for efficiency, but it is most efficient if running during the hottest time of the day. It only needs to be on long enough to get your water to the desired temperature. The heat pump will have a pressure sensor that will automatically shut off the heater when the water pressure drops below a certain point. That can mean when the pump is off or flow is reduced below the threshold (clogged filter or low pump speed).

Your heat pump should shut off when flow is low or the temp hits the requested amount. Either one of those conditions will put it in standby mode.

Hope that helps.
    Yes I mean the pump running, sorry. I think this makes sense. Now that I understand the standby mode a bit better I can just set the heater to a certain temperature and let it run when the pump runs, having it standby when the pump turns off. Then some trial and error can lead me to see whether it's running enough to keep temp.

We have been running the pump to clean the pool but we haven't done the new heater yet just because it's a bit too chilly. Maybe in a week or so. Thanks.