Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash a few times whitish, greyish or greenish cloud comes out of jets

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash a few times whitish, greyish or greenish cloud comes out of jets

How do I then find a way for this whitish, greyish or greenish cloud to be drained off from the pool instead of making it go back into the pool. I am still SLAMMING the pool. I noted this clould like thing during after a few months of using the pool and doing backwash would come back again... I think these are TSD or some inorganics...what can I do. I did lower my pool a few inches today during slamming as I had not lowered the pool for a few years now
    16 x 32 (3, 5, 11)
    23-24,000 volume
    Liner Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Backwash a few times whitish, greyish or greenish cloud comes out of jets

your going to need to give us some more information

sand filter?
    what are your test kit levels?
    is it only after backwash or all the time?
    how is the water clarity?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    your going to need to give us some more information

sand filter?
    what are your test kit levels?
    is it only after backwash or all the time?
    how is the water clarity?

SAND Filter
    FC 10.5
    CC- 0
    PH 7.2-7.4
    TA 140
    CA 320
    CYA 40

The water is now nearly bluish but a slight green tint.. but very slight. Cloudy. Yes the cloud comes out from 1-2 jets. It comes out after a backwash.. after say like 1-2 weeks of continuous using the pool. Water can get clear but takes like 2 weeks or more... after that it gets very clear.... I had not change the sand in the filter for 7 years now.. we have cloth pull over the skimmers and Poolskim as well...
    16 x 32 (3, 5, 11)
    23-24,000 volume
    Liner Pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you "rinse" after you backwash? Just like when you backwash and look for the sight-glass to run clear, you need to do the same thing when you rinse. Several people have found that they just don't rinse long enough, and a few never knew about rinsing. That would be the easiest place to start.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Do you "rinse" after you backwash? Just like when you backwash and look for the sight-glass to run clear, you need to do the same thing when you rinse. Several people have found that they just don't rinse long enough, and a few never knew about rinsing. That would be the easiest place to start.
    Thanks so much. By the way when rinising.. do I need to turn the piping valve to let the water go out to drain.. Somehow if I do not do that the water comes back to the pool.
    16 x 32 (3, 5, 11)
    23-24,000 volume
    Liner Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Setting it on rinse should send it to the same place as the backwash water.

7. Back To Top    #7

Check out the pictures that show where the water is directed in the different modes in Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Backwash sends the water backwards through the sand and out the waste pipe. Rinse sends the water the normal direction but instead of blowing the leftovers into the pool it sends it out the waste pipe.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!