Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH-Test out of this World?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Alpine Ca. San Diego

CH-Test out of this World?

1. Rinse and fill the clear plastic cylinder to the 10ml mark
    2. Add 10 drops of R-0010 and mix. Then, add 3 drops of
    R-0011L and mix. Red indicates the presence of Calcium.
    3. Add R-0012, one drop at a time, ‘til color changes to blue. Multiply number of drops times 25. NOTE: If the pool water contains known copper, add two drops of R-0012 PRIOR to adding R-0011Land continue. Count the two drops in your R-0012 total. Record.

Okay did that...
    Weather cold
    I used the glass one... going to use plastic.... Frig is that why?
    Just used the other mixing tube and now it's 80 drops x 25 so 2000

93 drops to blue ? x 25 = 2,325?

Hand swirling...

Yikes is this possible?
    The pool is crystal clear and no scale..
    loc: San Diego (IG) (DE) 12000 Gallons (Knowledge: first time new Owner)
    Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable / Pentair FILTER FNS-48
    TF100 & Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: CH-Test out of this World?

That is crazy high for sure. Have you tried a test on your fill water by any chance? Shame you don't have the "Speed Stir". The CH test is one that it really helps with.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: CH-Test out of this World?

If you have hard water and you've never drained, I suppose it's possible. In the summer I gain about 25 CH per week.

I will say that my CH dropped 200 points -- roughly 40% -- when I switched to using the speedstir for the CH test.

When I test (currently I'd hovering around 1000) I start by adding 10 drops of R-0012 and let the speedstir have a full cycle. Then 10 drops of R-0010 and another cycle, then 5 drops of the R-0011 so the color is deeper. And then I add 10 drops at a time until I start getting closer, letting the speedstir run a full cycle each time. I've experimented by not adding the drops beforehand, and only adding two, and using only 3 drops of indicator, and it hasn't changed the facts.

Use the speedstir and take plenty of time. And then consider a partial drain or reverse osmosis. You're in one of the few areas of the country where that's available.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!