Another first time results and post

sdunk

May 3, 2016
Southeast, NC
Ok, this is the first time I have ever posted. A little history-We have had our pool for 15 years. 3 summers ago, we had a new liner installed and fresh well water filled. This began 2 summers of dealing with a pool that consummed enough chlorine to make us wish we didn't have a pool and yet, the pool was always fighting algae and cloudiness. It never accured to us that the original installer had taken great care to balance our water giving us a pool that was easy to maintain in the early years and that we had not taken the same care to balance the water after the liner change. (In hind site, we really should have been able to get more time out of the original liner if we had more careful with our chlorine levels) Last summer we were at our witts end and talking about the possibility of filling it in. It had become a money pit. I know the wrap that pools stores have BUT with 3 kids and 2 jobs, there was not much time to search for a site like this and figure it out myself at that time. The pool store (45 minutes away) was instrumental in helping me understand what our underlying problem was and correcting it. However, there appears to be a better way so here I am. I did winterize the pool at the end of last season so taking the cover off was a pleasant surprise compared to previous years. I took a sample over to the pool company and they tested it. I was told I had a chlorine demand and to put 20 pounds of calcium hypochlorite in and to bring another sample in to retest in 72 hours. I did that but started educating myself on this website. Our pool turned cloudy white with all the stuff they had me put in and 72 hours later according to them my chlorine demand was gone with a TC of 12.4 and a FC of 12.4. This was this past Monday May 2nd. Of course they wanted to sell me something to raise the pH and TA but I decided to wait for my testing kit to come in the mail instead.

So after 3+ inches of rain this week and me doing nothing to the pool except dumping water and backwashing these are my results tonight.
FC 1.0
CC 0
Calcium 175
TA 90 ( the color was red after 7 drops but didn't stay red until 9 drops so I went with the 9)
CYA less than 20

I don't have any stabilizer on hand except the pucks that go in the chlorinator so I filled in for the time being figuring that it will put both chlorine and stabilizer in since they are low from what I have learned

So what next? I really would like to save some money (I just spent a lot to get a robotic vac) and time driving out of town to the pool store

I am not sure how to start a slam. I know that I need to add chlorine and stabilizer. The bleach is easy enough but how much should I purchase to begin do you think? And I have never bought a stabilizer except at the pool store. What is it called and where should I be able to find it? As I read about this in pool school, I understood but now it seems I can't find the part that applies and how much my gools should be. Help!

I found that Lowes is supposed to have liquid muriatic acid 128 fluid oz for $7.88 and if I am doing the poolmath correctly to bring it up to 30 I need 130 oz. Does that sound right? Then I should not need to wait for it to disolve like the solid. Then my shock level should be 12 and that should take 6 gallons of bleach? That sounds like a lot.

Muriatic acid is to adjust pH.
Stabilizer is to adjust CYA.
Chlorine is to adjust FC.

Your can buy stabilizer/conditioner at Walmart. I believe it comes in 4 pound buckets. There is liquid stabilizer available, usually at pool stores - but it's WAY more expensive than the granular type.

What is the strength of the Lowes muriatic acid? Look for 31.45 as the strength.

Both Lowes and Home Depot tend to leave their chlorine sit outside in the garden department. The heat from being outside tends to reduce the listed strength faster. Also, check the date code on any liquid chlorine you by.... 16 093 would be the 9 3rd day of 2016 - obviously, high numbers are fresher.

That muriatic acid is overly expensive. I usefully get mine at the pool store so it is near 30% strength.

Oh wait. That is NOT stabilizer. You need cyanuric acid. You can find it at Lowe's or Walmart, called stabilizer in Pool section.

1)Sorry guys, I got confused. I was searching for cyanuric acid at Lowes but the first thing that popped up muriatic acid. We have Lowes and Walmart here. Walmart has an 8lb bucket of [h=1]Clearon 12000723 Azure Stabilizer 100 Percentage Cyanuric Acid 8 Lbs. for $19.68. PoolMath calculator is saying that I need 52 oz by volume (if I'm doing it right). Since the CYA test was less than 20 (the dot did not go away until the test tube was full) I am estimating that maybe it was about 15. So I need 6.5 cups. Does that look right to ya'll. [/h]2) I am supposed to put this the stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer? Like a sock you would wear?
3) Do I put all 6 gallons of bleach in at once and then retest in an hour? or put some in and retest to see if it needs more?

First timers have a lot of questions.:D Thanks for the help in advance!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are good, first timer. I will look at your numbers later if no one else responds. We are driving... and I can't check your numbers on PoolMath. For now, yes a sock like you would wear. If PoolMath is calling for 6 gallons, yes. Get it in there. All at once is fine. Just pour slowly in front of a return jet.

3 kids and two jobs?????? BUSY person for sure!

Things will get easier now that you have TFP and a good test kit. We will get your water balanced and Trouble Free in short order.

You are doing great so far. Do NOT add anything to the pool without telling us your numbers and what you THINK you need to add and how much. We want you to get it right the first time.

We LOVE to help so ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small or silly if sounds! Believe me WE have all asked the same question at one time or another!

You know what? I am going to give you the "cheat sheet" I made for new pools. It should be good for you too!

Here are some links you will need when you are starting up a pool:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

:hug: we got ya!

Kim:cat:

Thanks guys! So I retested today after filling the chlorinator yesterday and puting 2 cups of pH down in until I could go shopping for CYA and bleach. Here are the levels after lunch today. Keep in mind the the pool is almost clear and I have vacuumed 3 time so there is little dibris.
FC 7
CC 0.5
CH 175
TA 90
CYA 23
pH 7.5
I found 10% liquid chlorine at Walmart for $2.50/gal and stocked up on 9. My target for SLAM was 10-12. I added 2 gallons of the 10% and 3 cups CYA in a sock in the skimmer basket beside the pool. (the is a basket beside the pump-I hope I wasn't supposed to put it in there). With the CYA the poolmath said 6.5 cups but that seemed like a lot and I figured it is easier to add more later than have to dump water from putting too much. Please tell me I am ok so far!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh sorry, I did recheck the chlorine level 2 hour after adding that 2 gallons and now have FC 20 and CC .05

This morning I woke up to gray looking in the seams and corners. I haven't seen that this year. I put a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket yesterday to catch some floating surface particles and it looked like Grey Poupon mustard but all this might be from the CYA that is tied in a person-sock in the skimmer as well. FF 22 and CC 1 (I had the chlorinator still on 2 last night-forgot all about it but turned it completely off this morning. I will leave it off.)

I'm concerned. I barely had any CCs yesterday and now the chlorine is at shock level(as far as I know since I can't test for CYA for a week) but I have this. The air temps rose to 87 yesterday by the way.

New test results
FC. 9.5
CC. 0
CYA 36
pH 7.5
I vacuumed 2 days ago but now I have what looks like brown dirt falling out of the water to collect in spots in the bottom of the pool. It feels like dirt and doesn't hold together to use a net with it. Is it normal to have this?

I am increasing my SLAM FC target to 16 since my CYA level has come up. How long should I SLAM? The water is clear until I disturb the dust on the bottom and the vacuum should take care of that shouldn't it? I am going to try to attach some pictures.

May 2016 018.jpg
May 2016 016.jpg
The bottom was clean 2 days ago. Is this normal? Please see previous post for more info. The flakey stuff on the steps is excess calcium buildup coming off the steps I think. It was yellowed last year and the descaler I put in last summer has helped. Thanks for your replies!!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.