Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP - Fixing Builders Tile Placement - URGENT Wetedge coming tomorrow

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP - Fixing Builders Tile Placement - URGENT Wetedge coming tomorrow

Hi, We are having our plaster pool resurfaced with wetedge and the contractors placed the tile earlier today and when I went to check it out, after they left - i had issues with the symmetry. I sent the PB the pictures below and they are coming back tomorrow AM before Wetedge comes to reset the tiles.
    In the bench area, i think it's obvious that there are tiles that are too close together and tiles that are farther apart.
    In the stairs, I'm bothered that they didn't use the original tile as a basis and created their own line of symmetry. But we have weird stairs, they are curved and I'm not sure which way these diamonds should turn. I've mocked up a picture below with a red line for each tile, to represent the center of the diamond. Does this make sense
    Below are the original pattern- which was 4 blue squares shaped into a diamond and the new pattern, are single squares, mostly b/c they didn't have tile to match the original and i thought the new tile was too light compared to our perimeter tile

PLEASE HELP - Are my red line placements correct on how the tiles should point?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: HELP - Fixing Builders Tile Placement - URGENT Wetedge coming tomorrow

looks like they just threw them in there just eyeballing them and called it good... go out and actually use a ruler or string line and a permanent marker and draw a line where you want them it is getting covered so no issues there...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    looks like they just threw them in there just eyeballing them and called it good... go out and actually use a ruler or string line and a permanent marker and draw a line where you want them it is getting covered so no issues there...
    Thanks for replying, do you think my red line placement makes sense? i just want to make sure they are pointing in the right direction
    25,000 gallon gunite pool with waterfall (built 2000 - owner as of 2009), Aerotemp / Aquacal heat pump AT12000-A, Hayward DE4800 Filter, AOS UST1202 Motor, Hydro-King T104P201 Timer, Meyco pool cover, Pentair Model 320 Auto Chlorine Feeder. Located in Massachusetts.

4. Back To Top    #4

My personal feeling is there is more than one right way to do it, and what they did is not one of them. Personally I would probably pick a radiant point from about where you were standing when you took the photo and align them along a snap line from there with equal spacing out from the midpoint. However without a wider view it is hard to say what would look best. An alternative might be to radius them with the curve of the individual step, something it looks like they tried to do, but messed up on the spacing symmetry. Either way I would try to have it marked up with exact position and angle you want for when they get there.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

The crew came out this morning and moved about 10 tiles. Looks much more symmetrical. Thanks for helping confirm I wasnt crazy
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

That does look much better
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Very nice, definitely much better and glad you noticed it in time for them to fix it.
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks 100 times better. That would have driven me insane!!!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks much better!!
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

10. Back To Top    #10

So here the kicker. After all that adjustment, the wet edge guys removed all of them because they were set too low. We didn't see then until the were done, and they had to be adjusted after again It was a nightmare, but now it's done and I'm trying to understand if the blotchiness is normal. I'll probably start another thread for that

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by patplh View Post
    So here the kicker. After all that adjustment, the wet edge guys removed all of them because they were set too low. We didn't see then until the were done, and they had to be adjusted after again It was a nightmare, but now it's done and I'm trying to understand if the blotchiness is normal. I'll probably start another thread for that
    Sometimes we fight these no win battles....lol
    Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016