Any idea what this is? How to remove?

May 6, 2016
Columbia, MS
There is an algae/dust/powder substance at the bottom of my pool (see pics). I've brushed the entire pool several times. The substance dissolves into the water as soon as the brush hits it. The water is clean before I start brushing, but becomes cloudy and green after off all the substance has been brushed from the bottom? Any ideas? It seems to be getting worse.

I apologize for not having my chemicals listed. I've ordered the TF100 kit and it should arrive Monday. Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 121
Welcome! :wave:

Looks like waterborne dust bunnies. That's dead algae clumping.

You need to vacuum it up and kill its live microscopic cousins with lots of bleach. We're working blind here without any test results, but if you have any kind of tester at all, no matter how feeble, even test strips, take a FC reading and then use poolmath to calculate how much bleach to add to get to 10. If you'll fill out the signature, we can help you figure that out and also how much to add every day to keep things from escalating. If you nail it fast enough, you might not have to SLAM when you do get your test kit.

I attempted to vacuum the pool yesterday by sticking the vacuum hose into the skimmer, but I wasn't getting any suction at the other end of the hose. I have a pentair super flow 1 hp pump and a pentair 240 sq ft cartidge filter. I do no believe it has the backwash option. Should I still be able to vacuum?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks FPM and Richard. Working on my sig now.

I attempted to vacuum the pool yesterday by sticking the vacuum hose into the skimmer, but I wasn't getting any suction at the other end of the hose. I have a pentair super flow 1 hp pump and a pentair 240 sq ft cartidge filter. I do no believe it has the backwash option. Should I still be able to vacuum?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks FPM and Richard. Working on my sig now.

Did you prime the hose first? It may be the hose wasn't primed or the filter clogged. Do you feel water coming from the return?

I suspect that it could be mustard algae.

Dead algae does not have any color. Since the water gets green, the algae is probably alive.

This type of mustard algae can have yellow, brown or green hues. However, it’s usually a brown/olive green mix. It usually looks like sand until you brush it and it easily disperses into a cloud. After a period of time, it resettles on the floor again.

This type of mustard algae is particularly resistant to chlorine and usually needs a thorough Slam followed by an extended period of elevated chlorine levels. After a good Slam, I would maintain a minimum FC of 15 % of the CYA for at least a week.

With this algae, you might pass an overnight chlorine loss test because the algae is typically less total weight compared to other algae and it is much less reactive to chlorine.

Did you prime the hose first? It may be the hose wasn't primed or the filter clogged. Do you feel water coming from the return?

Plenty of water pressure coming from the return. I'm going to try this again tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

I cleaned the catridges two weeks ago. I'll clean them again this weekend considering how much dirt is in the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect that it could be mustard algae.

Dead algae does not have any color. Since the water gets green, the algae is probably alive.

This type of mustard algae can have yellow, brown or green hues. However, it’s usually a brown/olive green mix. It usually looks like sand until you brush it and it easily disperses into a cloud. After a period of time, it resettles on the floor again.

This type of mustard algae is particularly resistant to chlorine and usually needs a thorough Slam followed by an extended period of elevated chlorine levels. After a good Slam, I would maintain a minimum FC of 15 % of the CYA for at least a week.

With this algae, you might pass an overnight chlorine loss test because the algae is typically less total weight compared to other algae and it is much less reactive to chlorine.

This will be my first slam. My TF100 kit came in today. I'll post the readings Sunday. Thanks for everyone's help.

Part of what gives mustard algae its color is beta carotene. The beta carotene acts as an anti-oxidant and protects the algae from chlorine. However, sufficient chlorine will still kill the algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.