Priming/valve question

Well, the more I read here the more questions I end up with ha. After coming across several threads about priming the pump I was curious if I had to do anything with the valves after cleaning the pump basket. In the past I haven't been closing any, just filling the basket with water and then turning the system back on. Is this ok or am I missing steps?

Also, how do you tell what valve controls what as far as returns/stains/skimmers etc..

Here is my setup:

724b3adeb89ec8ae11ce85c59d21224e.jpg
04f23c41bd7c2feefc5200da5817bb38.jpg
5bd0939be9ff2ce4760368115b0b287a.jpg

priming us where you release all the sir from outlet of the pump, hoses, etc. there should be a couple little knobs or nozzles you turn to prime. yes emptying, cleaning the basket is one of the steps, but just refilling it with water won't prime it.

Intex 18/52 pool at 7000 gsllons.
vinyl sift sided pool
intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

I don't close any valves or fill the pump with water. You can not fill the pump with water because it will always drain back to the pool through the suction line.

If you pump is not many feet above the water level, there is usually nothing special to do. Just put the lid on fire up the pump and it should fill with water in a minute or so. Most filters also have an air valve on the top that should be opened when the pump is priming to let the air out of the system.

I don't close any valves or fill the pump with water. You can not fill the pump with water because it will always drain back to the pool through the suction line.

If you pump is not many feet above the water level, there is usually nothing special to do. Just put the lid on fire up the pump and it should fill with water in a minute or so. Most filters also have an air valve on the top that should be opened when the pump is priming to let the air out of the system.

Awesome, thanks. Mine fills fine, just wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging the system doing it the way you described.

So there's really no reason to ever mess with the valves once the pool is open for the season?

Awesome, thanks. Mine fills fine, just wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging the system doing it the way you described.

So there's really no reason to ever mess with the valves once the pool is open for the season?
That depends. I'd at least identify which valve goes where. I like to keep my main drain almost completely closed off. It still gets enough flow to stop temperature stratification but sends the majority of the suction to the skimmer, so it grabs surface debris better. But if I've suffered through some windy days and the pool is full of dust, I go for maximum drain and minimum skimmer and hope that as I'm brushing, the stuff makes its way to the drain.

That depends. I'd at least identify which valve goes where. I like to keep my main drain almost completely closed off. It still gets enough flow to stop temperature stratification but sends the majority of the suction to the skimmer, so it grabs surface debris better. But if I've suffered through some windy days and the pool is full of dust, I go for maximum drain and minimum skimmer and hope that as I'm brushing, the stuff makes its way to the drain.

How do you tell what goes where? I have 2 skimmers, 2 deep end drains and 3 returns

How do you tell what goes where? I have 2 skimmers, 2 deep end drains and 3 returns
Experiment. It's just like figuring out which light switch works which lights and which plugs in a new house.

Shut off a valve and go check to see which skimmer has stopped flowing. If you have both skimmers shut off and the pump is still pumping, you've identified the main drain. The two drains should be teed together underground and have a single pipe to them both.

I can't tell if those unions on the return side have a shut off in them or what. Maybe that's an air bleed, maybe someone removed the handles.

I also wonder if that's really a sand filter or if it's a cartridge, because I see no backwash valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.