Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Priming/valve question

1. Back To Top    #1

Priming/valve question

Well, the more I read here the more questions I end up with ha. After coming across several threads about priming the pump I was curious if I had to do anything with the valves after cleaning the pump basket. In the past I haven't been closing any, just filling the basket with water and then turning the system back on. Is this ok or am I missing steps?

Also, how do you tell what valve controls what as far as returns/stains/skimmers etc..

Here is my setup:

Pool: 28K gal, vinyl lined, rectangular, auto cover
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Priming/valve question

priming us where you release all the sir from outlet of the pump, hoses, etc. there should be a couple little knobs or nozzles you turn to prime. yes emptying, cleaning the basket is one of the steps, but just refilling it with water won't prime it.

Intex 18/52 pool at 7000 gsllons.
    vinyl sift sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.
    vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't close any valves or fill the pump with water. You can not fill the pump with water because it will always drain back to the pool through the suction line.

If you pump is not many feet above the water level, there is usually nothing special to do. Just put the lid on fire up the pump and it should fill with water in a minute or so. Most filters also have an air valve on the top that should be opened when the pump is priming to let the air out of the system.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I don't close any valves or fill the pump with water. You can not fill the pump with water because it will always drain back to the pool through the suction line.

If you pump is not many feet above the water level, there is usually nothing special to do. Just put the lid on fire up the pump and it should fill with water in a minute or so. Most filters also have an air valve on the top that should be opened when the pump is priming to let the air out of the system.
    Awesome, thanks. Mine fills fine, just wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging the system doing it the way you described.

So there's really no reason to ever mess with the valves once the pool is open for the season?
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Scsu74 View Post
    Awesome, thanks. Mine fills fine, just wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging the system doing it the way you described.

So there's really no reason to ever mess with the valves once the pool is open for the season?
    That depends. I'd at least identify which valve goes where. I like to keep my main drain almost completely closed off. It still gets enough flow to stop temperature stratification but sends the majority of the suction to the skimmer, so it grabs surface debris better. But if I've suffered through some windy days and the pool is full of dust, I go for maximum drain and minimum skimmer and hope that as I'm brushing, the stuff makes its way to the drain.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    That depends. I'd at least identify which valve goes where. I like to keep my main drain almost completely closed off. It still gets enough flow to stop temperature stratification but sends the majority of the suction to the skimmer, so it grabs surface debris better. But if I've suffered through some windy days and the pool is full of dust, I go for maximum drain and minimum skimmer and hope that as I'm brushing, the stuff makes its way to the drain.
    How do you tell what goes where? I have 2 skimmers, 2 deep end drains and 3 returns

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Scsu74 View Post
    How do you tell what goes where? I have 2 skimmers, 2 deep end drains and 3 returns
    Experiment. It's just like figuring out which light switch works which lights and which plugs in a new house.

Shut off a valve and go check to see which skimmer has stopped flowing. If you have both skimmers shut off and the pump is still pumping, you've identified the main drain. The two drains should be teed together underground and have a single pipe to them both.

I can't tell if those unions on the return side have a shut off in them or what. Maybe that's an air bleed, maybe someone removed the handles.

I also wonder if that's really a sand filter or if it's a cartridge, because I see no backwash valve.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you for the help. It's a cartridge, Jandy cl460. It takes 4 filters.