Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time TF100 results

1. Back To Top    #1

Lightbulb First time TF100 results

These results are 9 hours after the pool guy added a large amount of what he called "super shock"

FC - 5.5 ppm
    CC - 0.5 ppm
    pH - > 8.2
    Calcium - 275 ppm
    Alk - 140 ppm
    cya - 25 ppm (or less).

What im wondering is: are these results meaningless bc of the large amount of shock added today or does this seem right? Pool company said don't do anything for a week in terms of adding other stuff.

Seems like no cya which makes sense and high ph. Should I do something about this sooner?
    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time TF100 results

Depends on the type of shock added John. If it had stabilizer in it, then the CYA may continue to creep-up for a couple days. If it was just Cal-Hypo, then there is no stabilizer at all - only calcium (CH). I would check the CYA tomorrow evening. If it's still below 30, then increase a little bit. pH definitely needs to be lowered right away - mid 7s. FC good at that level. Later, we may work on lowering the TA which will also help to keep pH down, but focus on the pH and CYA for now.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Has the pool guy been fired yet so that you can take control?

Your FC is not high enough for the pool to be neglected for a week. You will likely need to add some chlorine by tomorrow.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Has the pool guy been fired yet so that you can take control?

Your FC is not high enough for the pool to be neglected for a week. You will likely need to add some chlorine by tomorrow.
    Ditto... what is your daily chlorine method?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Haha. The guy was just there to open. It's all me now.

I want to do the bleach method of chlorination. That's the plan. This is the first time the pool has really been open. (Just built)

I went to the trash and saw about 4-5 bags of sodium s dichloro triazinetrione. So that has cya built in I think. Tomorrows plan will be acid and I'll grab some cya just in case.
    27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, Dichlor has CYA and is acidic which should have lowered the pH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok so after the second day I focused on pH and general cleaning (lots of vacuuming and backwashing). It took about 2/3 of the jug of muriatic acid, over 4hrs or so, to get the pH into the mid 7s from very very red >8.2. FC was at 1ppm and CC was 0.5 after the day. So big drop in free chlorine in a day after the opening shock. I didn't do any other tests because I was focused on ph. Tomorrow morning I'll do a complete test and then use the calculator to add bleach. I bought bleach and baking soda today at Costco.

Then ill hit the pool store for CYA bc I'm guessing I'm low. Huge guess there. Then I'll deal with that.

Im glued to the pool school pages but one thing I'm not grasping is the numbers behind target chlorine levels and CYA levels and how they are related. Should I deal with CYA first or try to get chlorine up a bit and then do CYA?

8. Back To Top    #8

CYA and chlorine are linked to each other. They should be adjusted together.

If you raiise chlorine and not CYA, the sun will burn off your chlorine. If you raise CYA and not chlorine, you leave yourself open to organics attacking your water.

Add CYA to the correct level per math and raise chlorine as if the CYA is already there.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

You can get the CYA at Walmart or hardware stores with pool seconds.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Just got it at Walmart. I need 108oz! That's a big sock!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

You can hang 2-3 socks around your returns if needed John. Squeeze them occasionally and most of the granules will dissolve to power by the end of the day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Texas. Got my socks. Doing a quick backwash first. Starting to panic a bit. Had zero chlorine this am. Dumped a whole jug of bleach. Trying to get this cya in before the sun roasts it.

13. Back To Top    #13

Good plan!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Socks at the returns work great. Looks ghetto but hey whatever works. TC is around 3 right now so hopefully that will hold during the day.

The thing im wondering about now is maintenance. How much bleach to add daily to keep this going? Trial and error I guess. TC/CC and CYA each night and then adjust and then get a feel for how much to dump daily?

Its so clear and gorgeous. This is great! Chemistry plus swimming; I'm thrilled. This site is fantastic.

image.jpg

15. Back To Top    #15

Looking good! Yeah, you'll get the hang of adjusting FC soon enough.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok so after a day of squeezing socks....

CYA - 40 YES!
    FC - 1.5
    CC - 0.5

soooo, should I spike this baby to 5ppm chlorine tonight?

i also note that my pH dropped to 7.2. Wasnt expecting that.

Any ideas?

17. Back To Top    #17

CYA is slightly acidic.

Get the FC up asap.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks. I upped it to 5 with a jug of Walmart "bleach".

Its probably wise wise to end this thread then I'll post specific questions as they arise.

THANKS!

19. Back To Top    #19

Good luck John. I think you've got the basics. Let us know if anything odd happens. Have a nice evening.

20. Back To Top    #20

Just make sure you never let the FC drop below 3ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast