Phoenix
So here are my current pool water readings:

FC: 3.5
CC: 0
TC: 3.5
pH: 7.6
TA: 100
CYA: 150
CH: 750 (a pool store read 750, while I get 450 with my Taylor 2006 kit??)

My pool was resurfaced (pebble) exactly 1 year ago and filled. It has only been "shocked" once when the pool was first filled by a pool service. The pool service was using trichlor pucks during this time, which explains the high CYA. I live in Phoenix, so I'm guessing the high CH is from all the water evaporation that takes place in the summer, since the CH of the fill water is much lower (150 I believe). Just wanted to see if the CYA and CH readings seem "reasonable" for 1-year old pool water in Phoenix(?).

Secondly, I wanted to verify the recommended action would be to do a partial/full drain of the pool water (based on the CYA and CH levels). I no longer use a pool service, so am trying to decide if fetching/storing bottles of bleach is going to be practical for me (rather than using pucks and draining the water every year).

Any thoughts and/or recommendations are much appreciated. :)

We can work with the high CH by off-setting with a lower pH and TA, but for the CYA .... there's no avoiding the partial drain. Sorry. But now you know. Get that CYA down to at least the 50-70 range for your area, then you know it will never increase again unless YOU want it to. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see it mentioned, but PLEASE make sure you are testing the water with your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. That's a major priority.

I've been looking around Pool School and other posts, but haven't found something like a "step-by-step" for refilling a pool... steps to refill and in what order to address chlorine, pH, CYA, CH, TA, etc. If someone has a link to something like this, please post. :)

Not really listed in that way that I'm aware of (but I'll look) because everyone's scenario is different depending upon how much water is removed. But one rule is always a priority .. validate CYA so you know how much FC to have (see Chlorine/CAY Chart link below). Also ensure pH is in the mid-7s, and that's a good start. Al the recommended levels are in the link below in my sig as well - but in no specific order.

I've been looking around Pool School and other posts, but haven't found something like a "step-by-step" for refilling a pool... steps to refill and in what order to address chlorine, pH, CYA, CH, TA, etc. If someone has a link to something like this, please post. :)

I just did a drain/refill...Tested pool when full, I added CYA per Pool Math, then FC, my pH was little high added Acid, my TA & CH were ok, tested a few hours after adding chemicals (CYA will take a few days to fully register)...and just normal testing adding etc after that.

There is no step-by-step because adjustments depend on the test results. I recall someone tried to make a flow diagram with all the what-ifs and it was impossible to follow :D

I just did a drain/refill...Tested pool when full, I added CYA per Pool Math, then FC, my pH was little high added Acid, my TA & CH were ok, tested a few hours after adding chemicals (CYA will take a few days to fully register)...and just normal testing adding etc after that.

Question... when you are adding chlorine, are you attempting to bring the level to match your estimated CYA (since it takes a few days to fully register), or are you attempting to bring the chlorine to "shock" level (again, based on your estimated CYA).

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also like to know if people would recommend doing several partial drains or doing a full drain based on my current CYA and CH. If partial, 20%... 50%, other?? Thanks! :)

Question... when you are adding chlorine, are you attempting to bring the level to match your estimated CYA (since it takes a few days to fully register), or are you attempting to bring the chlorine to "shock" level (again, based on your estimated CYA).

- - - Updated - - -
I'd also like to know if people would recommend doing several partial drains or doing a full drain based on my current CYA and CH. If partial, 20%... 50%, other?? Thanks! :)

I first added CYA target 50...then added FC to 3 ppm, after 2 days my CYA was at my target of 50, then I bumped the FC to 6 (Pool Math)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In your area with no ground water to worry about and a pebble pool, you can do large drains which is more efficient. It is cooler this weekend so a good time to do it ... try to keep the surface moist if the sun is shining on it.

The FC level you target depends on what you are trying to do. Either maintenance level or shock level depending on your CYA.

The FC level you target depends on what you are trying to do. Either maintenance level or shock level depending on your CYA.

Right. I was just wondering for a pool "start up" (after a drain) if it was recommended to immediately bring the pool to shock level. Based on your approach, I'm assuming shocking after a refill isn't required.

Thanks for all the info.

Should I be running the pool pump longer than normal after the refill for any reason? I've never had to add stabilizer before, so don't know if it needs to run longer to dissolve it.

I'm picking up a rental pump at 10am this morning to do a full drain/refill today. Wish me luck. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.